EPI M100 or KLH Model 17

I need to make space in my basement because it's getting too crowded with sets of vintage speakers. I've decided to part ways with either a set of KLH Model 17's or a set of EPI M100's. The EPI's are an early edition with Walnut cabinets, rubber woofer surrounds, and the first generation tweeter. The KLH speakers are probably from the early 1970's and are in good shape, refinished, recapped, and sealed recently with Roy's goo. The EPI's are also recapped, refinished, with new binding posts replacing the original EPI garbage. The EPI's have better bass response, even though the woofers are smaller. The KLH Model 17's sound a bit more neutral, although they do not go as deep, and they are a bit rolled off on the highs.

Before I make up my mind I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about the long range value prospects for either speaker. I'm kind of torn and don't really want to get rid of either, but I have some new stuff coming in and I need the space.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

I have several EPI speakers, including a pair of M100. I also have several KLH speakers, including Model 6, Model 17, and Model 20 (4 ohm version of the 17). All of them (except the 17) have been fully restored (surrounds taken care of and recapped with new 5-way binding posts as needed).

The KLH Model 6 and 20 are in constant rotation in my main office system. I listen abut 8 hours a day. The EPI M100 is in my shop system, but I rarely listen to them. Instead, I listen to my Epicure 20+. That system also has EPI M70 that I prefer over the M100. The M70 is an amazing speaker, but the 20+ just does everything better.

I prefer the KLH Model 20 over the M100. If I had to get rid of one speaker, the EPI M100 would be a goner.

"opinion about the long range value prospects for either speaker."

You make it sound like owning these speakers is an investment. Neither speaker is particularly valuable, in spite of being very popular. In my market, neither of them would bring much over $100 to 150 unless they were in pristine condition. But they are an easy sell considering their popularity.

I suggest keeping the speakers that sound best to you. From your description, it seems like the EPI are keepers.

"You make it sound like owning these speakers is an investment. Neither speaker is particularly valuable, in spite of being very popular. In my market, neither of them would bring much over $100 to 150 unless they were in pristine condition. But they are an easy sell considering their popularity."

It's not that they are an investment, but I am a collector with over 13 different sets of speakers, so value is one consideration among many. I really don't expect them to gain much in value considering that there are so many for sale on eBay and Craigslist, especially the Model 17 which is widely available. I've already sold 1 set of Model 17's and a set of 22A's.

Right now, the keepers in my collection are the KLH Model 6, AR-2ax, and a pair of stacked OLA's, all rewired, recapped and refinished by me. I also have a couple of sets of Paradigm bookshelf speakers which are in the LR and DR because of their small size and WAF. As I said in the original post, I really don't want to get rid of anything, by my basement is beginning to look pretty cluttered and somethings gotta give. I guess I'm looking to outside input to help me make a decision. (I'm also very aware that if this qualifies as a difficult decision in my life, I'm a pretty fortunate guy, especially during these difficult times...)

I'll probably wind up parting with the M17's if only because the M100's are the only set of EPI's that I own. BTW, I've never heard any of the EPI/Epicure multi-directional speakers. They certainly look intriguing.

Thanks for your input, RTally.

• 2 months later...
On 4/8/2021 at 1:49 PM, Norman Nicolai said:

I really don't want to get rid of anything, by my basement is beginning to look pretty cluttered and somethings gotta give.

Oh you too? 

We live tortured lives... sigh

I am buried in the following EPI (10 each? (not counting two EPI 100W with MDF water damage to the cabinets), AR (10 (no... I also have an orphan AR 28s *phew*) 11 each), Advents (10 each?), Klipsch (10 each), Cambridge Soundworks (8 each), and assorted misfits (a dozen maybe??)

(wow!, 🤨  the number TEN must mean something... This is the first time I have tried to do a mental inventory of the "clutter")

Seems the numbers are fluid as some things have been squirreled away...

Follow up:

I never got rid of the KLH Model 17's or the EPI 100's...And then last month I saw another pair of EPI 100's that were so cheap that I could not resist and had to purchased them. The new EPI's are vinyl clad unfortunately, but they have the original version tweeter, just like my walnut veneered 100's. They have not yet been recapped, still sound great, and are now part of my garage system, along with an old Sansui receiver, and three other sets of speakers.

So yes, me to!