Are these KLH 5s worth buying?

ellloko

Are these KLH 5s worth buying?

No. Tone controls are unobtainium. I'm a big fan of the KLH Model Fives but those present too much of a challenge for a novice. And a pro, "the audio shop", will either charge a fortune because of all the work involved or slap in generic 3-way crossovers and ruin them.

OTOH, if you want to do some work yourself you could wait for a used crossover to show up on ebay, then follow instructions here to rebuild the rather complex crossovers. Then re-seal the woofers with Roy's goo and buy some original or repro grille badges. I'm hoping the grille cloth is good, or that's another project.

If I were looking for a project I'd offer no more than $100 or if the grilles and cabinets are perfect and they work, maybe $150.

Kent

37 minutes ago, DonT said:

The surround on one woofer look wrong as well. They should be cloth and it looks like someone used Advant surrounds on them.

OH! I missed that but Don's absolutely right! Foam surrounds on Fives are a no-no.

I like the Ebay ones best. The Facebook ones look like one of the mids was replaced. Plus at this point the Ebay ones are cheaper. But keep in mind you will most likely need to refurbish them. New caps in my opinion are a must. I got lucky and picked mine up at an estate sale for the princely sum of $10.00! After fixing them I have $85 in the pair. Good luck hunting

13 minutes ago, DonT said:

I like the Ebay ones best. The Facebook ones look like one of the mids was replaced. Plus at this point the Ebay ones are cheaper. But keep in mind you will most likely need to refurbish them. New caps in my opinion are a must. I got lucky and picked mine up at an estate sale for the princely sum of $10.00! After fixing them I have $85 in the pair. Good luck hunting

Wow Don you got lucky! I am trying to be patient but I really can't wait to get my hands on a pair of these..