Where to find Model 5 potentiometers?

Cjj2d

How many failed? Point-to-point or pcb? There's a point-to-point Model Five xo on ebay now. That should give 2 usable switches if you have that style xo. Search for "KLH Model 5 Five Speaker Crossover"

On 1/16/2021 at 1:19 PM, JKent said:

How many failed? Point-to-point or pcb? There's a point-to-point Model Five xo on ebay now. That should give 2 usable switches if you have that style xo. Search for "KLH Model 5 Five Speaker Crossover"

I grabbed that in hopes it was a match, but it isn't. 

Two failed on same crossover.

Pics below of board with two good pots, recapped board, broken pots on board, and broken pot closeup

Model 5 crossover 1.jpg

Model 5 crossover board.jpg

Model 5 pot.jpg

Model 5 broken pots.jpg

I dunno. If I were doing it I'd just recap the crossover from ebay. I believe it's exactly the same, just point-to-point instead of pcb

If you found a really helpful rep at nsf maybe you could send them a dead switch and ask for a match but that seems highly unlikely

• 3 weeks later...

Someone else in another forum suggested this for switch replacement:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK/A30305RNZQ/?qs=h7H1bHRqGz%2BI/XAEF%2B2b7A==

This is included for reference, or if you/someone wants to bypass them

legend says switches are set at ccw and that they turn cw.
so here are connections made at the three positions IMO

mids
ccw 12-1 4-5 8-9 (decrease)
middle 12-2 4-6 8-10 (normal)
cw 12-3 4-7 8-11 (increase)

tweets
ccw 12-1 4-5 (decrease)
middle 12-2 4-6 (normal)
cw 12-3 4-7 (increase)

KLH_Model_Five_xo.jpg

From the photos and schematic, the mid is a 3-pole, 3-position (3P3T) rotary wafer switch. The tweeter is a 2-pole (2P3T), but you could use a 3-pole and just not use the 3rd pole. From the width of the wiper, they appear to be shorting ("make before break") switches (if they were nonshorting ("break before make"), then the sound to the driver would momentarily cut out when you change the switch position).

Some NOS here:

https://www.electronicsurplus.com/oak-industries-171-102-switch-rotary-3p3t-shorting?gclid=CjwKCAiAsaOBBhA4EiwAo0_AnHDW2N1-pvhugWMEjiHA1W3NJBJW_luQYyuUztp47LhnzIf7ZAOAfBoCTm0QAvD_BwE

Some bright, shiny new ones, but doesn't say whether they're shorting and I can't spot the wipers in the photos:

https://www.newegg.com/p/297-006X-015G7?item=9SIA4SRDHC1748&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-_-ec - switches %26 relays-_-global bargains-_-9SIA4SRDHC1748&source=region#

I looked at the Mouser link in dxho's post and it didn't say whether the switch was shorting or nonshorting, but the manufacturer's website says it's nonshorting.

You probably won't be able to find any with those PC board mounting spikes. Nobody mounts switches like that anymore. So you'll need to run wires from the board contacts to the terminals on the backs of the switches.