AR-93 tweeter

Jose

I recently acquired a pair with original 8" woofers and midrange drivers. Unfortunately the tweeters were not.

I read in other threads the tweeter used in the 93 is the same as the AR18 which is very rare in germany where I live. Also read that the tweeter of the old 4xa is a drop-in for the 93 and this one is easier to find here in Europe. My question is if there is any difference in performance or characteristics between the tweeters of the 4xa and Ar18 ?

Thanks in advance for yor responses and support 

20210110_162548.jpg

Thank you very much Stimpy. I didn't know about the front wiring of the 4xa tweeter. Not sure if the 4xa tweeter includes the magnetic cooling fluid of the more modern 18b tweeter.

I bought the ebay tweeters you mentioned, thanks a lot for the hint. The cost for shipment ($135) to Germany and customs ($70), is quite high but ...

Even if they would have lost with time some of the original brightness I guess they will sound more like AR designed the 93 to sound than the strange ones currently mounted in the cabinets.

I will give feedback about the sound quality after refoaming, recapping and mounting the new tweeters.

The sock covering material needs also to be replaced for both speakers, and also the wood covers on top need some cosmetic treatmemt. One of the plastic basements has a broken corner, I'm thinking about replacing it with a base made of wood with same dimensions. I don't think this will influence sound.

One of the wiring connectors in the base has the clamping parts missing. I am thinking about replacing both with a better connector interface. Not sure which one, do you have any recommendarions for this interface?

20210110_164225.jpg

4 hours ago, Jose said:

The sock covering material needs also to be replaced for both speakers

Hi Jose and a belated welcome.

When I did a pair of 94Si's I eliminated the socks and made some grille frames to fit in the recesses.

Kent

14 03 18_4715.JPG

side x side (5).JPG

5 hours ago, Jose said:

Thank you very much Stimpy. I didn't know about the front wiring of the 4xa tweeter. Not sure if the 4xa tweeter includes the magnetic cooling fluid of the more modern 18b tweeter.

I bought the ebay tweeters you mentioned, thanks a lot for the hint. The cost for shipment ($135) to Germany and customs ($70), is quite high but ...

Even if they would have lost with time some of the original brightness I guess they will sound more like AR designed the 93 to sound than the strange ones currently mounted in the cabinets.

I will give feedback about the sound quality after refoaming, recapping and mounting the new tweeters.

The sock covering material needs also to be replaced for both speakers, and also the wood covers on top need some cosmetic treatmemt. One of the plastic basements has a broken corner, I'm thinking about replacing it with a base made of wood with same dimensions. I don't think this will influence sound.

One of the wiring connectors in the base has the clamping parts missing. I am thinking about replacing both with a better connector interface. Not sure which one, do you have any recommendarions for this interface?

Hi Jose,

I'm glad the tweeters worked out for you!  But, I'm truly sorry to hear that the transaction was so expensive.  It makes it difficult to be a music lover.  The new AR18 tweeters should be soft and sweet in balance.  Not bright at all.  Though, I'd still keep your now spare Philips tweeters, in case you ever need a temporary replacement.

As to binding posts, Parts Express used to sell a drop in replacement for your speaker, with banana jacks instead of spring clips.  Now, I no longer see it on their site.  So, maybe check with Falcon Acoustics.  They're are a UK based loudspeaker parts company.  Maybe it'll be cheaper to buy through them?

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Stimpy said:

The new AR18 tweeters should be soft and sweet in balance. 

You might also consider adding an L-pad to allow adjusment of the tweeters. That's what I did with the 94s  https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/8149-ar-94si-improved/?tab=comments#comment-99906

2 hours ago, Stimpy said:

Hi Jose,

I'm glad the tweeters worked out for you!  But, I'm truly sorry to hear that the transaction was so expensive.  It makes it difficult to be a music lover.  The new AR18 tweeters should be soft and sweet in balance.  Not bright at all.  Though, I'd still keep your now spare Philips tweeters, in case you ever need a temporary replacement.

As to binding posts, Parts Express used to sell a drop in replacement for your speaker, with banana jacks instead of spring clips.  Now, I no longer see it on their site.  So, maybe check with Falcon Acoustics.  They're are a UK based loudspeaker parts company.  Maybe it'll be cheaper to buy through them?

Good luck.

No worries, it was my decision to buy them. You helped me with the ebay notice. 

I had a look at the Falcon site. Its quite impressive what they all have. Need to find out about if they charge customs apart from shipment (because of brexit).

Thanks anyway it will help me to decide which binding post to use

1 hour ago, JKent said:

You might also consider adding an L-pad to allow adjusment of the tweeters. That's what I did with the 94s  https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/8149-ar-94si-improved/?tab=comments#comment-99906

I just read the complete thread of your AR94 work. Very interesting and well done. Once I hear the 93 refoamed and recapped I will take a decision about the L-Pads.

I will try to restore the 93s as original as possible and if I'm not satisfied with the final result and sound will probably begin doing changes.

Thanks in all case for your interest and help