AR8b woofer repair or replacement?

Nick in Brooklyn

Hello all, first post. I recently inherited a pair of AR8b speakers. They look like they’re in pretty good condition except for one of the woofers (pics attached) and possibly the tweeter. 

Several questions: 

• Judging from the photo, should the woofer be repaired or replaced? 
  • If repaired, what does this entail? 
  • If replacement is needed, how does the original come off?*
  • If replaced, what’s a good replacement 6 1/2” woofer? 

*I can’t find any info online about how to safely remove woofers in speakers like these and I don’t want to damage the wires.

Many thanks for any feedback or insight into these questions.

-Nick

IMG_20201031_120625.jpg

IMG_20201031_120716.jpg

Welcome Nick

I have no experience with the 8B but looking at your photo, the wires have Sta-Kon connectors that just push on to tabs on the woofer. Just pull them off.  The photo below shows this. Ignore the black wire in the photo. Your woofer has just the 2 wires, like the red and blue in my pic.

Those are 6.5" woofers and both need to be re-foamed. Easy enough and you can get help here. But that protruding cone leads me to believe there may be more going on. Maybe a detached spider and if that's the case the voice coil could be damaged. Maybe take a better pic behind the cone once you disconnect it.

The simplest solution would be to send both woofers to Bill LeGall of Millersound. He'll fix them better than new and quite reasonable. But if you're up to doing it yourselfone of the speaker gurus here can help. 

Kent

woofer connectors.jpg

Early last year I found a pair of 8b at a local thrift. I initially bought them for the tweeters, but decided to go ahead and re-foam the woofers.

cORiZHz.jpg

Upon some online research I found out that these woofers originally came with filled fillet surrounds much like Boston Acoustics woofers. Looking around I found that eBay seller Audiodogs had the correct surrounds.  I ordered a set and re-foamed them. Larry from Audiodogs was very easy to deal with. I guess you could use the surrounds others are selling for these, but I like to keep things as original as possible.

NOTE: GET A RED SHARPIE and color cod the spade that the RED wire goes to so you hook them back up correctly.

My AR 18b rebuild

See comments on pictures

294242114113017.jpg

I snagged this pair on line... Cabinets were rough, grills have holes, surrounds where gone, and on AR badge was missing

989660214113019.jpg

Woofer surrounds were toast... as expected

246173014113018.jpg

Grills will need recovering... not an issue with plastiv frames IF they are in good shape.

100226514113021.jpg

Original input terminals and the dreaded SN label

37882CA34E9C63C1C67002EA8BECA427.app1_1601940247429_L1800.jpeg

New input terminal with these really slick spring loaded input terminals

20200729_193716.jpg

Woofer out to be repaired and the first peek at the Crossover

20200927_114737.jpg

Crossover out and exposed

20200927_155103.jpg

New cup and new Dayton Audio 250V 1% Tol Caps. Original value is 5uF so I had to use a pair of caps wired in parrallel (2uF and a 3uF) wich electronically "looks" like a 5uF cap.

20200927_160825.jpg

Hot glue and strong nylon tiewraps should work long term to keep things together

AR18b after.jpg

All together and breaking in. The new input terminal cup required the original AR Labels on the back to be moved. Used a heat gun and they easily came loose. Repositioned them slightly higher. 

NOW... Here is the amazing part...

These little book shelf speakers SOUND AMAZING!!!  I am quite stunned how nice they sound!!

Cabinet work and new grill work still to be done.  More pictures coming.

post-100900-1204961516.jpg

AR 8b wiring diagram PLAN VIEW

Also... I now have a set of AR 18s... 

Thanks JKent for the welcome and all for the quick responses with pics and wiring diagram. I was able to get the wires off and detach the woofers as you explained - the wires were very tight but luckily I pulled them out without damaging them - I will likely send into Millersounds to get both woofers repaired.  

Thanks again, this is a great community. 

Nick