Wanted: Output transformer for Heathkit W5M amp

Norman Nicolai

I am in need of an output transformer for a Heathkit W5M mono bloc power amplifier.

I would prefer the transformer used in later models of the amp, the Peerless 16458.

However, The Peerless 16039 transformer from earlier models is totally acceptable.

If anyone has one for sale, or can point me in the direction of where one can be purchased, please contact me.

Thanks.

That's a tough one. Got me curious so I googled it. Some discussions on audiokarma, diyaudio etc. I did not find a modern equivalent. Options seem to be ebay (one recently went for $202) or have it rewound. I did not see anything about a modern equivalent. Good luck with the search.

Replacement output transformers for the W5M are really hard to come by. Both the 16309 and the 16458 are considered "ultra linear" transformers. I'm told that Edcor makes a new "ultra linear" that matches up, but the quality is not the same as the original Peerless transformers. So my first choice is to get a Peerless replacement, but I may be forced to go for the Edcor eventually. 

I was bidding on one you saw on eBay that sold for $202. I got outbid at the last second! There was another one on eBay the last time I looked, but they want upwards of $240 for it, they're not negotiable, and that's a bit over my budget. 

I'm working with Dave 451 on Audiokarma to restore the amp. He's already restored one W5M for me and the sound is pure gold.  If I can get another output transformer the plan is to set them up as mono blocs. 

Thanks for your interest, JKent. If you hear of something, please let me know. If I ever get this project done, I'd love to post some photos of it driving my KLH 17's or Model 6's!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...