Recommend capacitor for OLA replacement?

Hucklecatt

Here's a direct link to the site JKent was referring to:

http://baselaudiolab.com/ADVENT_LA_XO.html

I had the site saved in my browser since I have changed a number of Advent capacitors. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure it was JKent who referred me to the site originally!

As you will see, Advent changed crossover units during the production run in the OLA, so there is no way of knowing what you need without opening up the cabinet.

If they are Advents with the metal plate for the crossovers, the caps are most likely 16uF. Those are very early units.

Some research shows Advent may have originally used the `16uF/8uF combination in some of the early ones but it is unclear. Regardless, there were only 16uF and 8uF caps used in the original Advents so you would be safe buying some of each. It's not like they are expensive.

Doug

Thanks Doug and all that is what I will do. I did check that page before posting but the link that is offered for the "Rev 0" values is broken (actually it points back to this page so the information is somewhere on this forum I think). 

Always one to eat my desert first I did go ahead and refinish the walnut veneer and recover the grille cloth. 

02_AdventResto_SpeakersFinished.jpg

03_AdventResto_SpeakersFinished.jpg

Yeah, beautiful!

And, you're not alone. I am re-restoring (I originally did it in the mid seventies) an old Hallicafters shortwave radio my late father-in-law had and I got when he passed away in 2015. Even though it needs several parts replaced, particularly the old paper capacitors (it's from the nineteen fifties), and needs to be realigned. I restored the appearance first.

Doug