Speaker face up on bench + cats = bad.

Lucky Pierre

Hey Peter, I have two sets of AR4x's. One set (1968) has smooth cones and the other set has ribbed cones like yours. I don't know what the differences may be, but I would look for one that matches. Shouldn't be too hard to find. 

Larry

Too much catnip?

Sorry to see that misfortune, Peter. I've had good success repairing small tears in paper cones, but that cone of yours appears beyond fixable. I suppose re-coning is always an option, but the cloth surround and mesh dust cap present unique conditions that will make that process a real challenge. Maybe Millersound is capable of the repair, but I suspect procuring a suitable replacement woofer would be less costly. BTW, is that woofer from the pair of 4x's you picked up at the spring fest?

16 hours ago, lARrybody said:

I don't know what the differences may be...

Yeah, me neither....this is a good question. Despite the variations in appearance, I've always thought that the various 4x woofers had similar performance attributes. I know I've seen at least three types-colors-textures of 4x cones, and maybe some minor differences in basket profile or construction. At some point, the 4x switched from using a #4 to a #5 coil, but I don't know if this reflected a change in the magnet structure or some other concurrent adjustment to the woofer specs.  

Thanks Robert.

Yes, this is one of the ones I picked up in the spring.  The cabinet restoration came out really nice.  I was laid off at the end of March, and just started working again.  All the hobbies were put on hold during the interim.

I don't think too much catnip.  Just a big, 14 pound cat looking for a comfy place to sit!

Peter