SEALANT NEEDED FOR DRIVERS

I HAVE A PAIR OF AR-LST'S  A I NEED TO GET A SEALANT THAT IS READILY AVAILABLE............I'VE LOOKED ON PARTS EXPRESS AND THE KIND I USED TO USE IS NOT AVAILABLE.  IT WAS A SOFT KIND OF TARRY AFFAIR SHAPED LIKE A ROPE AND YOU JUST WOULD PUT IT AROUND THE EDGES OF THE DRIVER YOUR MOUNTING BEFORE YOU PUT THE SCREWS IN AND TIGHTENED IT ONTO THE SPEAKER ENCLOSURE.  IN THESE DAYS OF DISAPPEARING PRODUCTS THAT ARE MADE WITH OIL I'M NOT SURE WHAT ELSE TO DO.  I JUST DEALT WITH THE "NO OIL" PRODUCTS CRAZE WHEN I HAD TO STAIN MY BACK DECK, OKAY I'LL STOP . I COULD GO ON FOR HOURS ABOUT THAT.   ANY IDEAS FOR SEALANT WOULD BE WELCOMED, RM

These are the sealants most commonly discussed on the AR forum for the purpose of sealing the driver in the baffle.  The Parts Express gasket tape is the easiest to use but Mortite is popular.   Duct seal must be molded to shape but is the least expensive.

image.png.8e64410e43279fc1d793c88a4b90d080.png

Mortite, as Aadams, points out above is commonly used. Many of the vintage speakers I've rebuilt have used something similar. I generally replace the original with fresh Mortite and I get a good seal on my drivers. It is readily available almost anywhere.

And I know that many restorers prefer the dry material from the roll of foam strip. I tend to use the duct sealer, since it most closely resembles AR's original substance - - - plus I'm just a cheap b*st*rd. Each of the products recommended by Aadams will work very well.

I think this is what you asked about. It comes is strips, maybe 1/4" diameter. Similar to duct seal but more convenient to use

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-12-speaker-sealing-caulk-box-of-72-pcs--260-400

THANKS JKent, I don't know any other way to reply except this way..............BUT THANKS , THAT IS THE EXACT PRODUCT I ORDERED. I HAVE A CAREGIVER NOW THAT LOVES TRYING NEW THINGS SO WHEN THE STUFF GETS HERE I'LL HAVE HER BE MY HANDS.  I'M FINALLY GETTING AROUND TO SELLING MY VINTAGE STUFF AND THE LST'S ARE THE FIRST.  I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT I'LL DO WITH THE 3 PAIRS OF KLH 12'S I HAVE BUT I MIGHT SELL THE X-OVER BOXES YOU SO MASTERFULLY REBUILT FOR ME.  TAKE CARE AND THANKS AGAIN, ROB

Hey Rob

Didn't know that was you. I would have recognized "redstone7". You're certainly not a "newbie" ?

Good to hear from you.

Kent