AR98LS Grill Cloth Replacement and Shelf/Floor switch

Aadams

I restored a pair of AR-98Ls' a few years back.  I got the new grill cloth from vintage-ar on eBay.  It's a little darker and a little finer mesh, but It is a very good match to the original grill cloth.  The replacement consisted of the following:

1. Remove the AR badge.  Mine had a pin on the back and was held in place by friction.
  2. CAREFULLY remove the red trim with a X-ACTO knife or small pocket knife.  It is not glued in place, but is attached with small brad nails.  You have to slowly pop it free at each brad nail.  It is time consuming, but I was able to remove the trim on one speaker completely intact.  The second trim ring broke at one corner, but you couldn't tell when reassembled.  Pound in the brads after the trim and old cloth has been removed.
  3. Remove the existing grill cloth and clean away old glue.
  4. Attach new grill cloth with GOOP craft contact adhesive.  I attached 2 sides first, then the top & bottom, and the corners last.  I used small paper binder clips to hold the cloth in place until the glue dried.  Take care when attaching the new grill cloth to make sure that the mesh is straight on all sides.  This turned out to be easier than I thought it would be.  The fabric that I got from vintage-ar stretches easily.
  5. Cut away excess cloth and glue red trim in place.
  6. Replace 1/2" acoustical foam inside grill, along the top and sides.

I have attached a few pictures.  Two show the cloth in the process of being replaced on one grill along with front and back views of a finished grill.  The last picture is of the finished speaker (I completely sanded and refinished the veneer).  I got these speakers for only $400.  The cabinets and grills were very beat up (they had originally been used in a covered outdoor bar and had been sitting in a store room for years).  Fortunately the dual domes were in very good shape and the midrange and woofer cones only needed new surrounds.  

AR 98Ls Grill Cloth Replacement - 1.JPG

AR 98Ls Grill Cloth Replacement - 2.JPG

AR 98Ls Restored.JPG

On 4/13/2019 at 9:22 AM, AR55 said:

I have attached a few pictures. 

I couldn't ask for better. I was thinking I would have to cowboy it.  Thanks

I finished.  Everything was straightforward except the corners.  Unlike the original fabric which had two way stretch this fabric, which came from parts express, was pliable in only one direction.  I got it worked out but a really close look would reveal flaws though it does easily pass the five foot test.  That bulge you see near the AR emblem is polystyrene foam not a loose area.

Thanks again.

image.png.3535f0a269132c81d9ec0912544810cd.png

Adams

20 minutes ago, AR55 said:

I just remembered that the AR emblems for the 98Ls have 2 pins on the back.  You can access the pins from the inside of the grill.  I used a small nail set to tap them out.  I believe that I had to glue them back in place.

Yes  Uses this type of fastener.  I won' begin for a few days yet

682420538_retainingring.JPG.f74e6accaa4585d3c2fbcb319a3c127c.JPG

• Aadams changed the title to AR98LS Grill Cloth Replacement and Shelf/Floor switch

I have one AR98ls with a non-functioning  shelf/floor switch.  I thought it would be easy to replace but now that I have opened them for refurbishment I am not sure it will be worth the effort.  It looks like the entire crossover board must first be removed and then the base of the switch must be desoldered from the circuit board in about six places.  Are these special AR switches or are they available from Parts Express?

I have read the 98 instruction manual again and there is nothing specific about the workings of this switch other when to place it in the shelf or floor position.  I don’t know which position it is stuck in now, but I am inclined not to do anything if I can find an explanation of the performance difference in the two positions.  I know it relates to bass, but I would like to know what is going on because I think I could work around it if I knew the affected frequencies. 

Adams

Archived