Advice needed to rescue AR4x woofer from bad cone patch

billsea

Hi all. I am a couple months into an obsession with restoring a pair of AR 4x I found. I nabbed them after their weight and then a google search  clued me on that I had stumbled upon a hidden gem. In my ignorance I tried to patch a damaged woofer with Elmer's glue and coffee filter. Of course the cone split wide open when I tried to use it. This speaker has the ribbed cone and big fat alnico magnet. I would love to salvage it and have found a guy a couple hours away who will repair the cone (but won't re-cone). I just need to find a way to remove the glue and patch. Aside from soap and water, is there a better approach/material to use? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

IMG_2500.JPG

I think you need a new cone.  The radial split would not be fatal but the 120 degree rip means a loss of integrity around the voice coil.  You need a recone or a another woofer IMO.  An AR4 expert will be along in a while to tell you which would be the most correct path.  The character of that particular woofer may change too much with a recone.

Aadams

image.png.f5a16a1df317c12fcd5391877740a8a4.png 

Ahh, I see. The shop I talked to said in general reconing never recaptures the character of the original. Your assessment of the 120 degree tear may have saved me a 2 hour drive. Ive been scanning ebay and google for a replacement woofer. I’ll see what others say but I have a feeling you are right. At least I still have one good one that I think just needs the surround re-gooped. I appreciate the input. Still pretty new at all this.

Archived