Found beside four garbage containers

Sam Edwards

I was on my way to play some tennis after work, so I pulled into the small town tennis complex.  As I drove in to the Recreation Center, I looked to the left at two walnut lowboy Rectilinear speakers and a low end roll top desk sitting beside the four roll away garbage containers.  To the right of the Complex, was an apartment complex.  My thoughts were that some one threw away these huge speakers at the tennis courts trash site.  I opened up my rear car doors and loaded up the speakers, then flipped the desk upside down and hung it out of my trunk of my Saturn Ion.  I got them home and hooked them up to my junkie old Realistic Stereo!  The sound was good!  A couple of years later my neighbor was moving to the Beach and he gave me a Kenwood stereo from the ‘70’s,  and I found out that now, there was finally quality sound!!  From trash to treasure!

Welcome Sam!

Great find! There’s not a lot of “traffic” here on the Rectilinear section but those are some fine speakers. Enjoy!

-Kent 

That's a great story - - please show us some pics of your dumpster find! The model III (both hi and low versions) is a great vintage speaker. I always enjoy seeing these Rectilinear ads that often showed a sense of humor. Pic of nude lowboy attached.

Rect Lo - High advert.jpg

Lowboy.jpg

1559679105_IMG_0124(2).thumb.JPG.8bee0bda346e8fecf18eaee486006858.JPGTook some pics but they would not load, I will try again tomorrow after changing my camera settings!    Well I am writing 14 hrs. Later and I did change settings on my camera on my phone, it still would not load, these speakers are flawless though, and I cannot stay out in the garage when volume is above 4.  No really, I was a hard rocker from the ‘70’s and know what loud music is!!!

I have a pair of Lowboys, too. But I had to pay for mine. :D

Your picture shows the lattice cover in place. That heavy lattice grill blocks a lot of the high end. I recapped my Lowboys and they sound fantastic with the grills removed. I plan on making some cloth grills, but I am too busy listening to them.

• 2 years later...
4 minutes ago, Andrea said:

Hello my brother in law left his Rectilinear speakers with us in 1990! Now I’m cleaning the garage and would like to sell them. Anyone one interested in making an offer? I can send pictures. 

Welcome Andrea

Post some pictures in the For Sale section. It's free. Resize them to about 100KB or so if possible. Also let people know where you are.

Kent