Cherry veneer 3a's....how rare?

lakecat

I just got a pair of 3a's in cherry...empty of drivers. In really nice shape so scratching my head on why he removed drivers. Sprague caps in it too! 

Anyways....in all my searches and travels, have never seen a pair of 3a's in cherry. I redid a AR3 pair last year in cherry but have seen none in the 3a line. Has anyone? More curious than anything.

I imagine that he priced the cost of replacing some dead tweets and/or mids and repairing woofers and decided to part it out instead.

I've seen 3a's in every veneer except korina. Everything other than walnut can probably be considered rare.

On 8/20/2018 at 1:16 PM, genek said:

I imagine that he priced the cost of replacing some dead tweets and/or mids and repairing woofers and decided to part it out instead.

I've seen 3a's in every veneer except korina. Everything other than walnut can probably be considered rare.

Like the 3's I had, these are laquered also. AR put a spirit stain on cherry to even out the color but I am removing that also to give it a more natural cherry look but will use a stain to darken a little. Love this wood grain though...:)

On 8/20/2018 at 8:43 AM, lakecat said:

I just got a pair of 3a's.....empty of drivers.

So what are your plans for these empty cabs? Are your thoughts leaning toward re-constructing an accurate re-assembly of 3a's, or do you have more sinister notions (:ph34r:) lurking about for some sort of hybrid speaker that your imagination or your parts inventory might influence?

On 8/20/2018 at 8:43 AM, lakecat said:

....in cherry.....

We can't be talking about this beautiful veneer species without some at least one visual aid, so until the OP shows pics of his new cabinets (hint, hint...), I'll post these lovely AR-2a's in cherry as a placeholder. :lol: 

AR-2a cherry.jpg

Hey there Lakecat. This thread about rare AR veneers that were used made me think about your post of two years ago about the Eucalyptus veneer AR3's.

I am a sucker for anything shiney waved in front of my face. I really wanted to believe it. Now I want some AR's with Eucalyptus veneer. Congratulations on your cherry cabinets. Keeping the veneer natural is the way to go.  I gave my Korina AR2a's the same treatment with some satin lacquer.  Post some pictures. 

She's so fine there's no telling where the money went. Robert Palmer 1949-2003

11 hours ago, ra.ra said:

So what are your plans for these empty cabs? Are your thoughts leaning toward re-constructing an accurate re-assembly of 3a's, or do you have more sinister notions (:ph34r:) lurking about for some sort of hybrid speaker that your imagination or your parts inventory might influence?

We can't be talking about this beautiful veneer species without some at least one visual aid, so until the OP shows pics of his new cabinets (hint, hint...), I'll post these lovely AR-2a's in cherry as a placeholder. :lol: 

AR-2a cherry.jpg

No evil process for these beauties...:) Going to make them like factory new. I love cherry....and installed a lot of kitchens with natural cherry over the years. Always so beautiful. 

I will put a light cherry stain to these. This forum won't accept my phone pics so have to get camera out and take some...weird. 

Taking the lacquer off with one coat of stripper and then using lacquer thinner to clean. Will only need a light sanding before staining.

12 hours ago, lARrybody said:

Hey there Lakecat. This thread about rare AR veneers that were used made me think about your post of two years ago about the Eucalyptus veneer AR3's.

I am a sucker for anything shiney waved in front of my face. I really wanted to believe it. Now I want some AR's with Eucalyptus veneer. Congratulations on your cherry cabinets. Keeping the veneer natural is the way to go.  I gave my Korina AR2a's the same treatment with some satin lacquer.  Post some pictures. 

She's so fine there's no telling where the money went. Robert Palmer 1949-2003

Yea....I got excited about those too...lol. Shame he chose to lie about it.

"Ain't nobody got time for dat!"

Re-veneering wouldn't have to be a bad thing, as long as one was honest about it and did it the right way to preserve the authenticity of the design. For any AR with a solid wood face frame (1 and 3 series and early 2 series), that would mean prying off the original face frame and replacing it with a new one made from solid lumber of the same wood as the new veneer (or in the case of something light, maybe white birch tinted as needed to match).

Couple of pics after getting some work done on them today. Pic of two together shows a before and after a coat of paint stripper on old lacquer and then cleaned real well with lacquer thinner and rags. They dried overnight and today sanded with 220 and wiped down with tack cloth. First coat of MinWax Gel cherry applied with 1 1/2" stiff brush....and worked in well. No wipe down other than the face frames and it was light. Will let it dry overnight and see what I have in morning. Got to spray satin poly on my walnut 3's early today too so getting 'er done...:)

IMG_4502.JPG

IMG_4498.JPG

IMG_4499.JPG

IMG_4503.JPG

IMG_4505.JPG

IMG_4507.JPG

Archived