Boston Acoustics Wiki Page Needed

Pete B

I'm not too familiar with the BA product lines over the years and a much better Wiki

page or any history page would be helpful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Acoustics

Anyone know of a better one?

Very little about the different product lines here:

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/US/Pages/AboutUs.aspx

• 5 months later...

I'm looking for more info, too.  I enjoy hifi history, especially American speaker companies.  I used to own some Boston A40's and recently picked up a used pair of CR85s, which are fantastic speakers.  I know the VR series are the deluxe models, but I found a third hand quote from Andy Kotsatos that the CR95, which are the same as mine, but in a floorstander, were the best speaker BA produced.  Apparently they were only sold only one year because they sniped sales from the more expensive VRs.

Anyway, the bookshelf series seems to go from the As to the HDxs to the CRxs, the CRx5s, CRx7s, the CSs, and finally the A series again.  I would like to know the years all these were produced.  Things get a bit muddy after the company was sold in 2005.  I believe my CR85s are from about 2002-2003.  The new A series was out about 2011 and there are many good reviews of them.  They seem to use much of the technology that debuted with the CRx5 series.  Sadly, speaker manufacturing ended completely for BA in June of 2018.

• 4 months later...

Yea, I ran into their new 'mentality' about a year ago trying to get some tech notes on my T1030 pair. They're 'legacy' is a marketing reference that they now seem to have little real interest in. Typical of corporate management having successfully displaced engineering's control of product line that seems to be today's norm. Seems BA is focused on boom boxes seeing how current woofer line of 'loosey goosey' buckets. I downloaded a few of their current woofer 'full spec sheets' .......Not even a mention of any Theil-Small parameters , thus no basis in std audio engineering.    Says alot .

The pinnacle of this evil is Harman International. At least BA wasn't forsaken to that bunch.......best stop there. Lookup HarmanIntl

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a BA fan myself for a decades and have noticed the absolute dearth of information available relative to other manufacturers of the day. I've started a Facebook group in hopes of turning it into a central landing place and am trying to pull info from various places and consolidate it for a thorough/proper wiki which Boston Acoustics deserves. I realize many have issues with Facebook for various reasons, but it seems to be where most are gathered, and their group format offers a good medium for something like this. The forum/message board format would be a nightmare unless it was kept extremely basic, and that defeats the purpose.

I'm going to upload what I have on the A200 tonight, with more to be added later. I'm only able to do it in my downtime, so i've no idea how long it will actually to take to run chronologically through all of the series and models as it requires research/organization time. Some lines I have more knowledge on than others. I own sets from the A, VR-9xx, and VR-x lines, so I have personal knowledge of those, with a fair amount of general knowledge on the VR-Mxx, T, and HD series also. The newest, most recent lines released before they folded I have no knowledge of, and to be honest, little interest, but a completist's approach is the idea here.

If anyone has any interest in joining, contributing, or even moderating (should there ever be enough participation), the group name is "Boston Acoustics Fans And Collectors". Typing that phrase into the search bar at the top of each page should direct you there, there are no others. I've no experience creating or working with groups, so any input is welcomed. I only decided to do this because no one else has, which seems perplexing. There are proper groups for just about every manufacturer (active and defunct) in existence, but alas, Boston gets nothing. I see them for sale often, and people are clearly still interested. 

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, s sislane said:

I know a lot about the history of BA speakers. What do you want to know?

Scott

Pretty much everything.  The  "Boston Acoustics Fans And Collectors" page on Facebook is Just starting out and attempting to provide all information on Boston speakers for the home.  I used to be an audio store rat and visited them quite often.  I purchased a pair of the A40s for my daughter to take to college in 1992, when they were being phased out.  I remember many of the good shops  sold BA bookshelf speakers as their budget friendly line,  The HD series was especially popular.  After trying out many speakers for a secondary stereo set-up, I settled on a used pair of CR85s, which I love.  I know Andy sold the company in 2005.  I am especially interested in the CR line.  My series, as far as I know was the first to use drivers designed in house, but were assembled in Malaysia. 

Speaker lines and dates of production would be especially helpful, as well as any "insider" information.

Archived