Hello All,

I would firstly like to thank the members for helping me out with my AR18 rebuild in my previous thread. 

Now, for my 4th pair of ARs, I have come across a reasonably decent shape AR93EQ with blown tweeters. Now the other 18s which I bought for the woofers have the tweeters lying around.  So from a little research I have concluded that the tweeters on the 18 and 93 use the same tweeter. So, it should be a straight fit. I am really interested in the 93s cause I know they will have pretty much the same characteristics of the 18 with additional lower frequency response.

The question is how finicky are these speakers about placement. And how do the side firing woofers behave with a stereo rack in between them? 

Regards,

Sudhir

Hi Sudhir I have been a original owner of a pair of AR 93s I bought in the late 80s as a local store in the Boston area(Leichmere) had a special arrangement with Acoustic Research. 

Placement of these speakers are best if you have them closer to the back wall as possible the bass response will be a lot better also these speakers are pigs for power so you need a good quality amp or receiver. I personally took a different approach to the tweeters and woofers as I tried to find different brands then the original because the spiders in the woofers disintegrate over time a also updated the capacitor in the crossover here is a photo of the tweeters and midwoofers in my Frankenspeaker ps i also have the original manual that i can scan for you

15222064633511596960167.jpg

20160505_212908.jpg

59 minutes ago, nefertem said:

....because the spiders in the woofers disintegrate over time....

Huh? I've never seen this occur - - could you please share some photo evidence?

1 hour ago, nefertem said:

...a local store in the Boston area (Lechmere) had a special arrangement with Acoustic Research. 

I like this statement a lot, but I have to chuckle at this because this had never occurred to me even though I often visited the original Lechmere store. What the non-locals will probably not understand is that this store was just a mere stones-throw down the street from the original AR facility on Thorndike Street in Cambridge. No delivery trucks were necessary - - just a stout hand truck or shop cart would suffice to get the goods from the assembly/inspection line down the sidewalk to the local discount retailer. :)

Hi Ra Ra I think what happened with the side woofers is where they were placed in my old bedroom in my Mother's house the Sun had direct exposure to the side woofers and my cat at the time could of used it to mark his territory ps I only have female cats now

Hi Sudir the tweeters are Viva , when I first replace the woofers they were all made by Bravox from Parts Express surplus and I later upgrade the midrange with scanspeak woofers. recently I purchased a reissue of Elvis Presley and the Beatles Box set and the midrange clarity is just unbelievable with the vocals 

VID_19780402_103454_117.mp4

10 hours ago, nefertem said:

....and my cat at the time could of used it to mark his territory....

Yeah, I guess that could kill any kind of spider. :P

9 hours ago, nefertem said:

My AR Turntable

Cool turntable, too - - that's a beauty. Always loved that uptempo version of JJ Cale's After Midnight on that EC album, and the pensive cover pic shows him sitting with his then-favorite Stratocaster, Brownie. Clapton was a busy boy in that period, managing to squeeze out his first solo album after having left Blind Faith and about to join up with Delaney and Bonnie in 1970.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_(guitar) 

2 hours ago, nefertem said:

Surrealistic  Pillow

Yep, indeed another classic album from that era. Over the many intervening years, I've come to think that maybe Jorma and Jack were the genius duo in that band, but Paul and Spencer played pivotal roles as well. Glad to see you enjoying your vintage AR gear with period vinyl recordings.

Archived