KLH Model Six Restore

willcee

Hello, 

I am working on a complete refurbish of some KLH Model Six Speakers. 

The loss of historic artifacts in the form of 'Photobucket pictures' is very lamentable. However, I have contacted a couple of the original posters who very graciously restored or resent their original pictures. Very helpful. 

My question...I came across this technical bulletin from KLH. Does anyone have any recommendations for a butyl product to use? I'm not sure what would be best. I have seen a few people say they used watered down caulk. That makes sense since some caulk contains butyl. But is there something better anyone has used?

Here are the pictures of my restore - so far.  

Thanks

klh_service_bulletin_60.pdf

Hi willcee and welcome!

To quote "Lost in Space"; "Danger Will Robinson! Danger!" Do NOT use watered down caulk or any other "home remedy" out there. The good news is, there IS an authentic product available.

CSP (and AK) member RoyC has cooked up an authentic butyl sealant. You could PM Roy or just go the easy route and buy some from ebay seller Vintage_AR. Roy supplies the goo for him.

You may not even need it. Once the restoration is complete, push in on the woofer. If it returns slowly you're good. If it springs right back there is an air leak and a likely culprit is the cloth surround. If you buy Roy's goo apply it sparingly.

Keep us posted.

Kent

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Willcee,

To echo Kent's reply, do not use calk or anything but the butyl wondergoo described above.

I had used a product that had been described as being good for the task by someone on another forum and much to my dismay it was the worst!

The surrounds were sealed, but as time went by they became quite stiff.

I described the removal of the product in another post earlier.

It worked, but as Kent said, don't use anything but Roy's stuff. It works.

Archived