dynaco stacking issues

graydy

Hello everyone, new guy here..This has brobably been discussed here many times. I have stacked a25, and finding the bass very boomy. I am using Marantz 1090 pre amp, 2 ma 500 mono blocks. Speakers wired in 4 ohm config. amps are 180 watts at 4 ohm.Just cant seem to resolve the bass issue no matter what I do, speaker placement, etc.I have treated my bare walls. Is the equipement I'm using giving me problems??  Any help would be greatly appreciated 

What happens when you try just 2 A25's?  Could be that the combination of the 4 speakers plus your gear just doesn't have the synergy to produce results that are pleasing to you. See you if get boom with just the 2 speakers and then go from there. From looking at the  picture of your space(nice space, btw) looks like speakers are against wall, in corners. Can you move them out from the wall and corners in to the room some?  Try a little at a time until your hopefully able to limit the bass response. 

no boomy bass with only 2, I have 3 pairs and have tried all kinds of combos, I uusually pull speakers away from walls when I play lps, cd etc.But there is no change in sound when stacked. Last night I tried stacked with a set of taller homemade stands , about 16 inches tall and the boomy bass was gone, thinking the smaller stands also homemade were  causing bass from bottom speaker to bounce off hardwood floor.But doesn't when only one speaker on small stand. Kinda got me baffled, pardon the pun. Havind stacked on tall stands kinda unsafe,and not to sturdy, don't want granddaughter knocking them over. Just have to keep trying I guess. .Furniture is 2 large leather couches sitting on gig area rug, back wall is treted with home made accustic panals,all glass are covered with heavy linded drapes, room is 22x 26.stands have foam strps on bottom for isolation, and there is a thin isolation mat between speakers. I sealed all drivers when I recapped, resealed the cabinets as well, figured with them being so old that they may have dried out and wood glue may have failed, that helped tremeandisly in sound. Going to go through all my interconnects today, gotta try to figure this out. Thanks for reply, and sorry about spelling,,,Peter

You could try stacking horizontally on taller stands which might prove sturdier. But yes the higher off the floor and away from walls will keep the bass response down. 

Obviously you can also play around with the tone controls,  make sure loudness is off. 

Well I found what I think was a ground issue between my components, there was a very slight hum to the speakers, that was amplified at higher volumes.I ran copper chasis grounds from and to each component and this seems to help conciderably. Now to build higher and heavier stands and see what that does . Looking for a st70, or pair mark 111 monoblocks, and move the Marantz upstairs with other pair of a25. Time to get the tools out, good day for it as its snowing like crazy outside...Cheers and thanks...Peter ill keep ya posted

All good now, raised stands 2 inches, new 1 inc isolation pads between speakers and stands, sound fantastic now, even put in a 10 inch powered sub and very close to what I was thinking this set up should sound like..Any idea what I could get for a very nice set of a25 with old cloth in good shape and new grills done, thinking I don't need 3 pairs...Peter

Can a person have too many pairs of A25s? If you're anywhere near LA, I'd love you buy your extras.  I've been stacking A25s since the early '70s with great results in a room that's 16x30.  They're horizontal, on stands 24" high. 

ebay prices are all over the place, I'm in northern Ontario Canada, north bay. This older stuff is hard to find up here and depending on equipment it can be very expensive.Check out this site\\Kijiji.ca, go to Ontario, there is alwys a few sets for sale usually around 200.00 to 250.00 Canadian, but I think shipping would kill....Peter

Archived