Stormgo

I have owned AR equipment from 1973 on.

Study of engineering physics with sound wave generation lined up well with

hifi speaker performance. I may have one

of the larger counts today; 5 pair LSTs;

1 pair 3A's from1973 forward; 5 pair 4x;

3 pair 5s; 4 pair 2AX's; various other singles and spares. Great power is the answer to amazing performance. I double stack LST's and drive each pair with a minimum of 300w continuous 2000w peak using McIntosh MC302 per set as smallest Power drivers. When rebuilding LST's  I use 2 newer style AR tweeters and 2 originals with all updated crossovers.

Must say nothing like them. Love to

share photos; however this my 1st post and still not up to speed.

I have two sets of LST's stacked on custom built walnut stands in my office with 2 McIntosh MC302's and a lumin

with 7 terra bites of uncompressed 24 bit transfer rate music ( ~65,000 songs). One of these sets came out of NYC

Grand Central Station for audio demos. Top set re-built to new condition by Larry, first set with 2 standard tweeters 

and 2 sets of up-dated tweeters. Once Larry then I tested these, all future set were a copy of this format. Much less

role off of high frequencies. 

IMG_0202.JPG

Home 7.1 surround 84" UHTV: LST fronts , 4 AR 5's side & back, one 12 inch 4olm custom built sub-woofer with same volume as AR3A box, B&W center. McIntosh MC 205 and MC352 for power, MX121 for mix, another Lumin and a 1971 B&O Beogram 

2000 vintage Turntable. HD Blue Ray and few other items makes for amazing sports events  and 4K movies. 5.1 at the lake home 

7.1 at the Motor Speedway suite, two pair( 3A's &2AX's) for oldest daughter ( engineer/ lawyer) , Rhino- lined, stainless steel

Covered 4X set out doors on deck.

Currently building a mobile monitor set with 4 LST's 2 custom 2AX's and top center ( JBL) for jam sessions.

Still many sets left over in storage at the barn. Purchased many sets on eBay 15+ years ago for next to nothing.wife gave

me static until she heard first double stake LST set. Alll smiles. 

Larry , in up state New York has helped locate sets and all needed parts.

All started in 1972 with a new pair of AR4's .

Stormgo, I am curious to know if you have tried using a single LST (or 3a) as the center channel between the two front LST's and listened to the results?   I ask because I obtained  the best results when I finally nstalled an AR915 between my pair of AR9's.    Having the center channel speaker drivers match the fronts seems to make a significant improvement in the overall presentation.

Holy Moly Stormgo......that is some audio!...and 65K songs?....yikes! I was just looking around and see I have...right now.... One pair of LST's....three pair of AR3's w/ one pair having early SN#'s...three pair of 3a's with one early having the alnico woofer.....one pair of AR12's....two pair of AR2ax's...one pair of AR2x's.... one pair of AR303's....and lastly four pair of Heathkit 103a's that are the cousin to the 3a. I did just buy a McIntosh mc2205 amp for the LST's and looking for a MX130 to match it.

Not a competition for sure but reading your list, I thought I would see what I had...as I never really check....and was shocked....:) 

Ar-Pro, Lakecat, AR surround: thanks for comments, first time I ever got on a blog, this one looked like people 

would understand we're not really insane. I'll get few more photos in the future; Lakecat, they add up in a hurry, before you 

know it it's time to call your insurance agent, added to my last partial list: Mc207, Mx134, 2- Dyanco 400's, all separate power amps: Crown 150 preamp,Nikko Beta 1 preamp, 4- 12" custom built sub woofers using AR 3A base speakers and volume match

boxes, one fits well under a stairway in very deep box. Always wanted a pair of DQ10's but never jumped away from LST's.

The twin 302 McIntosh amps are split left upper& right upper amp1, and left right lower amp2. Haven't played with other combos.

I built a custom wall for UHDTV(84") and stereo pieces, not room for 3A center but you are correct, that would add to quality movie audio. Wife said no saws today.

Great chatting.

Archived