What Size Refoam Kit For Advent 1?

leemelone

• 1 month later...

Getting ready to re-foam some Original Advent Masonite frame woofers. I am reading that the Masonite woofers take a different foam than the later metal frame woofers. The original woofer surrounds have a wider outer flange and maybe a different roll size (installed concave). The newer metal frame woofer has a narrower outer lip and a slightly larger roll (installed convex). The surrounds I received from my supplier are the ones with the narrower lip. Does it really make any difference?

In my professional opinion, NO! In the later years of my business, I always used the narrow outer lip foams on the masonite woofers. 

Install it concave after applying glue to the flat OD of the cone. Those foams always fit the OD of the cone perfectly. Press the foam down into the glue. Let dry. Carefully apply glue to the narrow outer lip of the foam all around the flat surface of the outer lip. Use a 1.5 V D size battery with the pos end connected to the pos terminal on the woofer. That will pop up the woofer so the narrow foam edge is pressed against the underside of the masonite ring. With the signal still applied, turn the woofer upside down and check the seal all around by pressing with a finger. Do a couple 360's. You may then want to keep the woofer upside down and place it on a flat surface, disconnect the signal and let the glue set overnight after checking there is no voice coil rub. 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Carl.

The roll size (17 - 18 mm) can be the same for both woofers and the narrower flange works fine on the Masonite woofers. I have used the surrounds meant for the all-metal woofers on several Masonites and they have been fine for many years.

Doug

Archived