my ar-xb headshell rotates

OK. I see what you're describing but that's an intentional texture job. It says "The metal plinth was sanded and painted." Steve does a variety of finishes on 'tables including a variety of colors and textures (including smooth). You may not like the bumpy finish but it's not just paint over goo. 

I'll PM his email address and maybe he can send you a link to photos. Here's one with a smooth top.

AR XA.jpg

I think that's actually a textured finish, Frank; sort of like a "hammertone" look taken to the extreme.

I'm not even sure if it's possible to successfully paint over the degraded Nextel paint.

If one is looking for a smooth finish after removing the original gunk, it would involve stripping the Nextel, and then lots of sanding & priming of the top plate to achieve a perfect surface - or, my favorite answer to everything metal: powder-coating.

edit: ah, Kent beat me to it!

• 3 weeks later...

Update....my AR 77-XB does not have the rotating headshell problem. The others did. I was very fortunate to score a very well cared for 77-XB. It has the double bend tonearm. I did buy the older and heavier brass counterweight to use with the GE cartridge which is heavy. I have no plans to 'upgrade' my AR turntable. I enjoy it for what it was/is....an absolute bargain in its day that does everything well enough and some things extremely well. 

Archived