AR-2ax cabinet refinishing questions

Robthomp

6 minutes ago, ra.ra said:

Very nice work, congrats.

Re: badges, the AR-2ax employed two different badges: one is square (maybe 1-1/8"?) with black printed lettering (AR Inc), and the other is rectangular with incised burgundy lettering (AR-2ax) as shown. While this notion is probably not perfectly consistent, I tend to think the early (cloth) 2ax's used the square badge, while the later (foam) 2ax's used the rectangular badge.

2ax badge.jpg

I remember the badges from these speakers. They were the rectangular ones, I'm pretty sure they were on there when my brother gave me the speakers around 1990.  So I must have lost them, they could be up in my attic somewhere.  Here is a picture of one of the speakers a month or so ago before I started the work. The metal plate you see isn't the whole badge, it's just the base plate that was screwed into the baffle that the badge was glued onto.

IMG_1197.jpg

So you need the rectangular ones. Looking at ebay sales for the past 2 months they have sold for $10.50/pr (a steal!), $20, $25 and $35 a pair. Ironically, the $35 ones were the nastiest-looking and the $10.50 ones the nicest, but as I said they are easy to clean up. So just keep yours eyes open and be patient. 

-Kent

Archived