AR3A score and re-furb

Reel Man

Well, today was the day, as I didn't feel well enough to enjoy this warm, but overcast day. Oh, well, I wanted to "Finish" these, anyways. Roy replaced everything but the paper cone, and treated it to a dye/paint job. Boy, it looks nice.

DSC04745.JPG

I elected to try the silicone gasket material I got from work. A bit of a job, but I have a cardboard template to re-use now. I used a nail to mark the holes, then used a  paper hole punch for the bolt holes.

DSC04748.JPG

And a shot of them in the living room. I actually like the bass of the repaired woofer better....it's a little tighter, and better defined, but I think my EQ will make up for the little bit of slack. Also, a shot of the deck I just picked up, and serviced.

DSC04752.JPG

DSC04735.JPG

3 hours ago, Reel Man said:

Well, today was the day, as I didn't feel well enough to enjoy this warm, but overcast day. Oh, well, I wanted to "Finish" these, anyways. Roy replaced everything but the paper cone, and treated it to a dye/paint job. Boy, it looks nice.

DSC04745.JPG

Roy does excellent work and am always amazed how nice his work turns out. Glad you sent that to him. Good luck on getting them tuned to your satisfaction.

Ditto on Roy's work, knowledge, and contributions - - that woofer looks terrific. Like yourself, I tend to use twist wire nuts for the woofer connection in order to facilitate future access with easy removal. Also, pretty cool to see a 'new' material (silicone) introduced as a driver-cabinet gasket. That Pioneer R-T-R deck looks very serious, but do I also spy a Crown deck sitting on the floor? 

Yes, you do. I picked that up from Craigslist 2 years ago, restored/serviced the transport, then sent the motor, headblock, and electronic module to Chuck Ziska, Crown expert. The modular nature makes this easier to restore, as you don't have to send the heaviest part of the deck. I initially used a poly-foam gasket material EXACTLY like AR did(except a bit thinner), and wasn’t sure it was sealing enough, as the foam suspension woofer seems to respond differently than the earlier cloth one. I'm going to post a Youtube video, for evaluation.

Archived