The odds of finding another mahogany AR5....

lakecat

I recently got a single AR5 that was in poor shape...and have discovered it is a mahogany veneer. It was also lacquered. I have stripped it and refinished the veneer which was a chore because of the scratches. I  cleaned pots, refoamed the woofer, and will be installing new caps when they arrive. Time frame on cabinet is 1970 according to stamp on woofer. I told Roy about this purchase and he wished me luck in finding a match for this.

My question is.......will I ever find a match to this AR5? I didn't realize it was mahogany until I got it home and of all the AR 5's I have seen, this was a first. Has anyone seen the AR 5 in mahogany? Not pictures....but in your travels.

44 minutes ago, lakecat said:

I recently got a single AR5 that was in poor shape...and have discovered it is a mahogany veneer. It was also lacquered. I have stripped it and refinished the veneer which was a chore because of the scratches. I  cleaned pots, refoamed the woofer, and will be installing new caps when they arrive. Time frame on cabinet is 1970 according to stamp on woofer. I told Roy about this purchase and he wished me luck in finding a match for this.

My question is.......will I ever find a match to this AR5? I didn't realize it was mahogany until I got it home and of all the AR 5's I have seen, this was a first. Has anyone seen the AR 5 in mahogany? Not pictures....but in your travels.

You can see the range of possibilities with mahogany veneer. Actually I consider it to be the walnut of the tropics.

Matching Classic era speakers ... may be easier to re-veneer. Single AR-5's are not common at any rate.

Roger

mahogony.png

Archived