AR4X

Tyler

I just recently restored an ar4x with a new surround and capacitor.  It sounds good at medium volume but it starts distorting prematurely when I put more power to it. I don't know how to describe it except to say some fluttering and some pops from the low end,  the tweeter sounds fine.    It was already suggested that perhaps the voice coil could have some issues.  This speaker was non working when I got it, so I don't know what issues it had prior.   Any thoughts.    -Ty

This is a good reason to shim voice coils on speakers with unknown backgrounds as any voice coil damage would be revealed during the process of shimming. You can also remove the covers on the AR-4 series woofer magnet yokes and get a look at the rear of the voice coil while depressing the cone.

Roger

23 hours ago, Tyler said:

I just recently restored an ar4x with a new surround and capacitor.  It sounds good at medium volume but it starts distorting prematurely when I put more power to it. I don't know how to describe it except to say some fluttering and some pops from the low end,  the tweeter sounds fine.    It was already suggested that perhaps the voice coil could have some issues.  This speaker was non working when I got it, so I don't know what issues it had prior.   Any thoughts.    -Ty

"I'm not afraid to die,  I just don't want to be there when it happens"

7 hours ago, owlsplace said:

This is a good reason to shim voice coils on speakers with unknown backgrounds as any voice coil damage would be revealed during the process of shimming. You can also remove the covers on the AR-4 series woofer magnet yokes and get a look at the rear of the voice coil while depressing the cone.

I was able to align the speaker using a test tone CD.  I may try to sneak a peak at the coil, what should I look for? 

I was able to align the speaker using a test tone CD.  I may try to sneak a peak at the coil, what should I look for? 

Damage to the voice coil former from bottoming and loose or burnt wire. Removing the dust caps on the 4-series presents some challenges.

Roger

Archived