My first time, food for my thoughts..........

frankmarsi

Ah, so, this is the way to do things quickly?

I'm a a proud owner of used 4ax's since 2007. I like them because their greill-cloths are medium tan because of time in this atmosphere.       

My atmosphere.

But, I have never heard them once. since 2007.  I know someone, somewhere will help me restore them. 

The funny thing is, when I was 13 in 1963 that my first real encounter with these was in my Dentist's office while my sister Nora was working there in 1963 as a dental-hygienist.

It was in the then little town of New Dorp, Staten Island, NYC with buildings and shacks, garages, a fish-market, a butch-shop, a wood-mill. a pharmacist, from 1858 and earlier. Sure businesses had upgraded in the 1940's and '50s.

I asked "Nora", "What do I do with my tooth problem?" I went where she told me to, rite where she worked. She lovingly made the appointment very quickly of course.

As I walked into the office, I heard a sound quality of "a stereo" that I never really heard before. And there on the shelf they sat......................

I liked the way they looked when I walked into his front office and then when I was in 'the chair' before, during, and after sedation.

I made a special effort to look at those speakers when I walked out.

Afterwards, I knew I had to raise myself one more step higher in listening quality from my fathers's RCA 42"tall "Victrola" console he had since1940 with its 12 inch electro-magnetic speaker that seemingly at the time, (for me in 1963 down the basement) put out some serious bass.

I really liked those little boxes the Dentist had but, how was I to drum up the money to buy them at 13 years young?  I thought, how could such a thing be?

Should I pay heed to anything anymore that anybody says to me?

Especially with so much under my belt.

Ah, yeah, I still wear a 34.

Last year I was a 33.

FM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-Research-AR4x-Vintage-Speakers-Original-Recapped-Pots-Bypassed-/262640051942?hash=item3d269126e6:g:yUcAAOSwLF1X5blx

My general memory is pretty much mush, but......

The line between fact and fiction does become increasingly blurry as the years go by, but it appears that the dentist's novocaine from 53 years ago must be responsible for the lapse of memory and subsequent delirium. To my knowledge, there never was an AR speaker model tagged the 4ax. Its alphanumeric doppelganger, the AR-4xa, did not debut until after 1970. The 4xa's predecessor, the popular AR-4x - - probably the bestselling speaker throughout the late 60's - - was born around 1965, and even its forerunner, the short-lived AR-4, wasn't hatched until 1964.      

So the question remains: since the AR-4 or 4x or 4xa (or phantom 4ax) did not yet exist, what type of speakers did Nora's employer seduce his patients with in 1963? :blink:

13 hours ago, ra.ra said:

My general memory is pretty much mush, but......

The line between fact and fiction does become increasingly blurry as the years go by, but it appears that the dentist's novocaine from 53 years ago must be responsible for the lapse of memory and subsequent delirium. To my knowledge, there never was an AR speaker model tagged the 4ax. Its alphanumeric doppelganger, the AR-4xa, did not debut until after 1970. The 4xa's predecessor, the popular AR-4x - - probably the bestselling speaker throughout the late 60's - - was born around 1965, and even its forerunner, the short-lived AR-4, wasn't hatched until 1964.      

So the question remains: since the AR-4 or 4x or 4xa (or phantom 4ax) did not yet exist, what type of speakers did Nora's employer seduce his patients with in 1963? :blink:

Yes, they all had to repeat their names twice as you and I  do, I do, I do..............................

Were you around then too?   I thought only I was. Well at least you may be honest when you say: ""My general memory is pretty much mush, but......""   1036 posts in 5 years for you is averaging 1.76 posts a day for you, you must be doing much listening?

Dentist's as employers always have been mistaken.   Or, and I quote:"To my knowledge, there never was an AR speaker model tagged the 4ax."

Really? Read this fella, http://www.vintage-speaker-review.com/2012/03/acoustic-research-ar-4xa.html

Hey, WTF, everyday I'm either listening to four AR-LST's or two AR-9's with high power amps, I say high power amps, power amps,  I must be deaf.  What do you listen to? I say what do you listen to ra.ra. ra.ra.........ra.ra......

My AR 4ax or 4xa or 4x or AR-4, whatever's are in the storage downstairs, as are my 2 pair 2ax's and 3 pairs of 3a's.  I don't see them, I sometimes think of them though, like tonight.

Then you come along with particulars, nit-picking. Get off of that tack you're sitting on.

Four is a good number, let's not make it bad.

Was it two steps or three steps in that waltz last night, was I dancing again?

I was content tonight to recall an old story in my, my, mind, mind.  You see you've got me stuttering, stuttering, then along comes you as an agitator upsetting my mind, my mind,...............

Do you read some of the characters on this site these days, no,no?

You have nothing to do but find fault with my story's details for spelling????

Did you have or were hearing AR-whatevers in that same period to know?

So maybe I was off a year or two. Was it '62 or '63, or '64 '65, or '66? You weren't there? No?  Thank goodness.

Do you, you,you, you go to the same dentist, dentist ra.ra, ra.ra?

Or, as the "Stone's" song goes from that same period, "Hey you, you get off of my cloud".

Shut the front door!

FM.FM

Did I say FM.FM

Clearly, the anethesia has worn off and the irritable tooth pain has returned, but it has been reported that sitting on a tack helps to alleviate the pain in the neck - or jaw, as it were - by re-directing it to a more cushioned anatomical region. To re-focus a foggy mind and bring calm and clarity to a situation, sometimes laughing gas may be required as the preferable painkiller. :lol:

Archived