Are they really 3a's

Tom C

Hi,

New guy here. I just got these AR's (serial #s C3995, C1231). Tag in back stamped AR-3a. The front grilles are on a plastic frame, and the cabinet is slotted, unlike my previous AR-3a's.

Also, curiously, the tweeter and midrange are lacking the black goop. Any info appreciated.

SDC16262.JPG

Not sure why the mid and tweet have so much paint removed, but the tweeter definitely looks like the proper 3a driver. I must be wrong about this, but I have long thought that the AR-3 had the "C" designation in the serial number, while the AR-3a actually preceded its number with the "3a" designation, as shown in these images. Why not post pics of the other speaker and both labels? Grille fabric also might lend some clues.

AR-3a labels.jpg

A factory upgrade would have a new label. The fact that the label on yours has the serial number hand-printed on it suggests to me that that's what happened. Crossover mods, new mid and high drivers and new grill cloth and badge.

Looks like genek might be correct - - - could be a factory upgrade of an AR-3 to become an AR-3a, with new mid and tweeter, crossover changes, new grilles and badges. Slap on some fresh labels with the 3a designation, but serial numbers remain original.

edit: genek and I were typing simultaneously, and yep, he nailed the mystery.

I'm curious to see some pics of the crossovers. If the C serial numbers are the 3's original numbers, than these are early and most likely have or had the oil caps. Maybe still there with the mods done for the 3A conversion? My 3's are in the 6000 range and have the oil caps.

Archived