AR-2ax's......short road trip...

xmas111

I thought some closure might be in order. I finished the AR's a couple of weeks ago, and ran them on the workbench for awhile. They finally made it up to the man loft.

Once I figure out why the site isn't letting me post pix, I'll share a couple of snaps.

Thanks to all who helped, and yes, they sound fantastic!

Regards,

Chuck

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chuck,

When you reply with a picture go to "More reply options" then browse for the pictures, then be sure to click "Attach this file". Resize the pictures so they are not to big. About 100KB seems good. Also don't make the dimensions too large--about 5 to 10 inches on a side seems to work.

Hope this helps. Love to see the pics.

Kent

OOOOPS. Just noticed you DID post photos in #46. Don't know what the problem might be now.

We'll go with attaching rather than linking...The completed AR's and the gear that drives them. I guess I've been listening to them in this space for about 10 days, and they might one of the best pairs of speakers I've had fun with. There ability to give smooth consistent frequency range is amazing. They are so easy to listen to for hours (non fatiguing).

The total cost including the speakers....$100. Now that's bang for the buck!!

Thanks again to all who helped me get through my first speaker restoration.

post-148860-0-40297200-1388595709_thumb.

post-148860-0-43906300-1388595723_thumb.

post-148860-0-01175800-1388595743_thumb.

Chuck,

Those look brand new! Great job, use are a very skilled guy.

I use my 2a's at work on Saturdays. I only work 5 hours on Saturdays but sometimes I feel like staying longer so I can keep listening to them.

Fabulous speakers for sure.

You'll enjoy then for a long time to come.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping to get some thoughts/opinions/options on my dilemma. It seems the original rheostats are not holding up as well as I thought they would. I've noticed the sound has become a bit "flat". And it appears that when I adjust the pots it's either all or nothing on the mid-range pot, and little or no change on the high-range pot. When I had them on my workbench in the basement, they sounded fantastic, and for the last few weeks upstairs, again, fantastic.

This week it seems I've been spending quite a bit of time adjusting the preamp tone controls, and when I attempted to adjust the speaker pots, I get the condition I described.

My assumption is the rheostats, but I'm open to thoughts/ideas/suggestions. I checked out John's link to the eBay vendor he bought rheostats from, but it appears he's out of the ones needed. The only ones I've found are in the $30 range...surely there are more cost-effective options? If the original rheostats are the culprit, and they need replacing, Id like to stick with rheostats rather than L-pads as the "restoration guide" suggests the sound changes when L-pads are used as substitutes.

Any and all help/suggestions and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Chuck

Chuck,

I ordered new rheostats and caps from Carl for my 2ax'. Can't recall the cost. But they are working just fine.

BTW, I went into my local electronics supply and bought some knobs that are perfect. They look like factory intended. Great to have the white line on the black knob to easily see the set levels. Much easier to turn, too. I'm traveling, but will post a photo when I get back if anyone is interested.

Archived