Original AR3 tweeters - how robust? (...and watts are good)

fast_eddie_72

No idea why it took so long to try this. I've been powering my AR3s with a Parts Express amp. I think I was so surprised that the little APA 150 could drive the 3s at all that I let it influence my opinion of how good it all really sounded. Today I finally decided that the speakers weren't doing all they could do with the admirable, but ultimately puny amp driving them. So I lugged my big and heavy Realistic STA 2290 upstairs. Don't laugh. It was the biggest thing I have that wasn't being used, and the amp in this monster is pretty beefy. Rated at 100 WPC into 8 Ohms (no rating given for 4, but a note that it will drive 4 as long as you only drive one set of speakers) it seemed a better candidate for the 3s.

Well, not surprisingly, this sounds a whole lot better! I know better and I still can't believe how much difference this made! But now that I have some real juice behind them, I'm wondering how robust these tweeters are. I know that too little power is more likely to do damage than too much, but with a wife who likes to crank it up when she's home alone and two teenage kids (who couldn't care less about a real stereo - sigh) I'm wondering if it would be prudent to lay some ground rules. The amp has pre-out and main-in jacks, so I am just running straight into the amplifier section. I could run into an aux so I could limit the output using the receiver's volume knob. I think I could trust everyone to leave it alone if that was the house rule. But it seems to me that you couldn't bear to be in our relatively small living room with these things getting more than 25 or 30 watts RMS. If the tweeters are more robust than some of the later ARs maybe there's nothing to worry about. I'd really hate to damage one of these things after the work to get these speakers in shape.

I haven't been by in a while, so a quick update on my 9s. After months of searching, I finally have two original AR9 tweeters in them. Correct part numbers and even two original foam rings, which I don't believe my early 9s had when new. At lest there is no sign of the little Velcro circles on the original tweeters.

Other than that, just enjoying that vintage AR sound! And, yes. My LST 2s are still sitting in the corner collecting dust. I'm afraid if I don't get them set up somewhere the AR police will come and take them away from me. Really a shame to have those things out of service.

Take care,

Ed

Hey Ed

Robust? Well, they've lasted this long, so yes. But....Those old dome tweets are nearing the end of their lives. They are notorious for popping their domes. So, no. Might not be a bad idea to get some spares if you see them. Same tweet as the 2ax in the 3.

If you're concerned, see this thread regarding fusing AR speakers: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=7748

Kent

Archived