center channel and LFE to go with AR9 & AR91

nfmisso

I have read through most (all?) of the similar topics on this subject; and have come down to a couple of choices:

1. build a center channel using an 8" AR woofer, mid range and tweeter from an AR91.5 in a cabinet with similar volume and geometry to an AR18/28; with the same crossover as the upper three drivers in an AR9, but no hi-pass filtering for the 8" driver.

2. Parts Express Triune: http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/indexn.cfm?project=Triune

I just picked up a pair of AR91 this weekend, my wife likes the teak on the cabinets, unfortunately one of the mid ranges is non functional, so the AR91.5 that we have had for years will be sacrificed to get the 91s going. Which lead to me thinking about further use of the components.

And then there is the LFE...... was thinking 2X AR 12" woofers in a box - AR9 without the small drivers....but then read more, and decided that it is not a good idea to put the AR drivers through that sort of stress, and am like this sub: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-766 which was recommended in another post on this forum. I'll set the receiver to large speakers, and the LFE crossover as low as it will go, to get the full effect (not the -10dB as mentioned in another topic).

FYI: after being stuck in a small apartment for the past 4½ years, we are now in a house :)

I think I'd go for option 1 on the center channel---essentially a 9/90 with out the bottom end....depending on room, you could put the 8" woofer next to the vertically stacked mid and tweet

as far as the LFE module. since the 9's are bi-ampable, what if you mod your 9's by taking out the high pass cap on the 8" midwoof, and then going on your home theater sub out, to an external amp (maybe a crown or carvin amp? I like the carvins because they're inexpensive and MADE IN THE USA) to drive the 4 12" drivers, and then use the full range 8"/top end for your L&R mains?

Nigel -

Since there's an ever-diminishing number of authentic AR-9 12" woofers, a Parts Express sub seems like an excellent solution.

Your link doesn't appear to work, but PE's Dayton Audio "Titanic" subwoofers are very well regarded, and should do a great job for LFE.

some additional thoughts.....

there's an orphan AR17 on ebay right now, that might be a good basis point to build your center channel from--you could recoup probably at least 1/2 the cost selling the tweeter, and have your 8" woofer ready to go, if it's an original AR woofer (should be pn 200001, IIRC)

or if you wanted to do a horizontal center for packaging reasons, there's a pair of 1200049-0 woofers on ebay as well. they're the 6.5" woofers used in the AR 8B, which used the same tweeter and crossover as the 18B, so I would assume the 6.5" woofers response would be similar. you could go woof-tweet over mid-woof with a pair of these for your custom center channel....

Thank you for all of the suggestions. :)

I have a couple of extra AR 8" drivers - somewhere - need to look at the numbers on them, I have had them for more than 15 years.....

My wife likes the PE Triune idea; so that will probably be the way I'll go.

I am not going to modify my AR9 speakers.

For the LFE; I am leaning towards a Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 subwoofer in a sealed enclosure, I think that it is the RS1200K kit, but will call to verify before purchasing. And it is call the Drake in PE's projects section.

The four AR9 woofers will fill a room in practically any home with lots of powerful undistorted bass. The AR9 woofers are interchangeable with all other AR 12" woofers. My pair bought as store demos had some issues so the store replaced all of the drivers that came directly from the factory before I took delivery on them. The originals had round magnets, the replacements had square magnets. As this happened in 1984 I probably got the Tonegen manufactured version. They work very well. Any AR 12" woofer is likely its equal. The original LvR demo at Riverside Church against an Aolean Skinner pipe organ only used four AR 12" woofers.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived