AR-1 & AR-3st help

Hairball

I have a pair of AR-1's and small AR-3st's in blonde wood I think from the late 60's -early 70's (?).

Great cosmetically except hardly any sound coming out of just the ar-1's, nothing from the small ones. Everything looks original. I know these can be desirable- IF they are working. Question is, are these easily repairable, not by me of course and what are they worth as is and repaired?

Thanks in advance

Are the AR-1's 7 post or 3 post? If 7 post then I have positive on Post #3 and negative on #7. For the AR-3 STs I assume it is the same as with my Janszens - run a length of speaker wire in parallel from the AR-1 to the AR-3 ST.

As to what they are worth - whatever anyone is willing to pay for them on ebay; the AR-1s show up every now and then, you have to look and track, the AR-3 STs are not seen so much.....condition matters and they must have unmolested Altec 755As to bring the top dollar.....

Welcome Hairball

Do your 3st's have the instructions on the back? If you could post a scan or photo that may help others. From the photos I've seen there are 4 terminals on the back of the 3st and as Anthropologo pointed out either 3 or 7 on the back of the 1, so incorrect wiring is a real possibility.

I'll bet Tom Tyson could give some guidance here.

Those speakers are collectible and possibly worth some good money but the purpose of this forum (as I understand it) is to discuss and enhance our enjoyment of great old speakers, not to serve as a blue book for sellers.

Kent

Thanks for the help. The AR-1 is a 3 post amd the 3st has 4 posts. I'd like to keep these guys if they work.They lived most of their lives in an air conditioned house in Orlando. Yes they do have wiring stickers on the back that I followed carefully. I will send photos shortly.

Harry

I doubt a Techniques receiver would work. I believe the AR-1 is a 4 ohm speaker and if that is the case you MUST use an amp rated for 4 ohms. Check the labels on back. The very early AR-1, with the cluster of 7 terminals, had wiring instructions for 4 ohm AND 8 ohm. If that's the case with yours, you're OK with the Techniques. Sorry--I've never owned one of these. Tom has AR-1s so let's see what he says.

Kent

Welcome Hairball

Do your 3st's have the instructions on the back? If you could post a scan or photo that may help others. From the photos I've seen there are 4 terminals on the back of the 3st and as Anthropologo pointed out either 3 or 7 on the back of the 1, so incorrect wiring is a real possibility.

I'll bet Tom Tyson could give some guidance here.

Those speakers are collectible and possibly worth some good money but the purpose of this forum (as I understand it) is to discuss and enhance our enjoyment of great old speakers, not to serve as a blue book for sellers.

Kent

This may have been answered previously, but what you do is send the output from the amplifier to the input terminals of the AR-3st, terminals "C" and "4," then take the output from the AR-3st and pass it on to the AR-1's input terminal on the back, terminal 1 is negative (black "-" or common); terminal 3 is positive (or red "+") as you trace back to the receiver or amplifier. As Kent said, your receiver or amplifier must be rated for 4 ohms, and it should have sufficient output capability to drive this setup (minimum 25 watts RMS, but more like 60 watts minimum). You can also change the strap on the AR-1 to terminals "B" and "C."

—Tom Tyson

OK, all hooked up accordition to instructions on back. Now using a different amp, got the AR-1's going. One sounds really sweet the other no sound out of the mid range speaker (top) just the woofer. No sound out of either AR-3st's. The pot. on one of them is frozen.

I switched polarity- doesn't seem to matter.

This may have been answered previously, but what you do is send the output from the amplifier to the input terminals of the AR-3st, terminals "C" and "4," then take the output from the AR-3st and pass it on to the AR-1's input terminal on the back, terminal 1 is negative (black "-" or common); terminal 3 is positive (or red "+") as you trace back to the receiver or amplifier. As Kent said, your receiver or amplifier must be rated for 4 ohms, and it should have sufficient output capability to drive this setup (minimum 25 watts RMS, but more like 60 watts minimum). You can also change the strap on the AR-1 to terminals "B" and "C."

—Tom Tyson

Thanks Tom, Yes I have a more powerful amp now that drives one AR-1 fine. The terminals A and B are connected for the '2 way system' on both. Now the AR-3st are dead and the other AR-1 has a dead mid range- I think. I saw on the repair guides removing the front grille is tricky in order to repair the speaker. The small ones though looks like you can access from the rear. Any idea of cost of repair if done by a pro?

Be very careful. Those speakers are highly collectible and the "mids" (actually full-range Altec 755A units) are for some inexplicable reason very valuable. Google "AR-1 Altec 755" for some interesting reading and photos.

There are many things that can go wrong with half-century-old speakers. Tom is your best guide with these.

If they do need repair, one resource would be Carl, one of our moderators. He has a business in northern Connecticut and he certainly knows how to take care of these antiques. Could be worthwhile to drive them over to him. Try sending a PM.

Kent

Archived