Polarity for ar speakers

ironlake

Does ar say anywhere if positive should go to the 1 termanel and neg to the o or vice versa. My thinking is if the woofer moves in on a loud bass passage it would be controled better by compression of the cabinet air than to move out 1st where it would leave a partial void in the cabinet. This is all my thinking and have not read it anywhere else so I am looking for comments either way. thanks for any help.

I have taken acoustic measurements on AR3a speakers with the polarity either way and found no difference in the measured response. After all, these are alternating current devices and as such you shouldn't think of them from a direct current perspective.

As long as both speakers are connected with the same plus/minus polarity at the terminals, it really doesn't make any difference.

Does ar say anywhere if positive should go to the 1 termanel and neg to the o or vice versa. My thinking is if the woofer moves in on a loud bass passage it would be controled better by compression of the cabinet air than to move out 1st where it would leave a partial void in the cabinet. This is all my thinking and have not read it anywhere else so I am looking for comments either way. thanks for any help.

Hi pick a 1.5 volt battery and connect to the terminals when the woofer moves forward that's the right polarity.

I suggest what the same as AL78. I however use a 9v battery. I'm not sure if you'd even have to pull a driver to test at it's terminals. You may be able to just test from the binding posts on the back of the speaker cabinet, however I've never done it that way. I'm not sure of what effect may happen to the tweeter if it had 9v applied to it. I'd hate to give you advice that would blow a tweeter for you.

If it were me I would pull the woofer, make positive you know which wires go to each terminal, disconnect the wires, and then apply the 9v to the woofer itself. See which terminal is positive, and follow the positive wire back to the crossover and see which binding post it's tied to.

As stated above, if the cone pulls inward it's in reverse polarity. If the cone pushed outward, that is the correct polarity.

Most early AR cabinet terminals were labeled "1" and "2", with "2" being the + terminal. (A third "T" terminal was externally connected to "2" in some models.)

When so marked, "0" has been the negative cabinet terminal for all other speakers I've had experience with (ie Advent).

The battery method is an easy way to test it..

Roy

Archived