Should I do it?

glenz66

Hello most gracious and knowledgeable keepers of AR speakers.

This is a first for me. I started a quest to find the perfect speakers for my refurbished Thorens TD-160 / Linn Basik / Shure V15 Type IV. In my journey I found a repair shop that just opened in my town. The grills were off and I was just enamored by the looks of the speakers. I did not look at anything else or ask questions. I just bought them. And I don't know if I will ever put the speaker grills back on. I then looked on line to find out what I just did. AR-2ax was the name of my speakers. After searching for awhile I came across "The Classic Speaker Pages" and after reading these scrolls of wisdom I found what I had just bought and what I would need to drive them. I then ignored that advice for I fell in love with the looks of a Sansui AU-555a / TU-666 combo. I asked no questions. I just bought it.

OK. Since this is my first time with all of this stuff it has been bugging me that I then ignored the advice for high watts per channel to drive the AR-2ax speakers. Am I really getting their full potential? I pushed my feelings to the side and bought an Adcom GFA-555 Power Amplifier. It has just arrived. I am scared. My only option it to turn my Sansui AU-555a into a preamplifier. Should I do it?

Thank you to all who may be able to help me understand what it is I am about to do or not do.

Ar 20WPC the Sansui is a little low for 2ax's, but in a small room like a bedroom or a home office should be ok if the volume is kept to a reasonable level. At 200WPC the Adcom has more than enough for any room you'd ever put the 2ax's in and any volume level the speaker can safely handle. And your Sansui amplifier does have the necessary pre out/in jumpers to enable it to act as a proper preamp. You need to use something for a pre with the Adcom, why not that?

Thank you for the logical motivation Mr. Administrator. And thank you for the kick in the pants Fast Eddie. I needed both. I will try to give a non-emotional review of the low wpc vs high wpc as I experience it through my AR-2ax speakers.

As is I am having a hard time telling if the tweeters are working but I think that is normal. Perhaps the 200wpc will wake them up.

Aww Jeez. I was just about to do it. Now I am fairly certain I read in one of many many posts here about the AR-2ax that higher wpc would favor the tweeter whereas not enough could damage it.

If I were to attached photos could one judge if the speakers look to be in good enough shape to handle what I would like to do? I can't quite yet to get the photos to the proper size of file to send. But if it could help I will try harder.

OK. I do not think the photos would matter in this situation. Thank you again for your input. My thoughts are now bent upon the first instincts and I do not wish to abuse this post with my newbie concerns. If it goes bad I have a wealth of information to draw upon here at The Classic Speaker Pages. And that is soothing to the nerves...

Obviously things seem to have turned out all right, but to answer your question, using an underpowered amplifier increases the chances of driving the amp into clipping, which can be harmful to the drivers, the tweeters being the most susceptible. If the tweeters have been previously damaged, either by clipping or if age has just taken its toll and caused internals to deteriorate, they may be excessively fragile and any load, no matter how clean, may push them over the edge. And you were right, photos of their exteriors wouldn't have told you anything unless there was visible damage, which there usually isn't.

Just be careful with 200 watts on each speaker as you could easily blow the 2axs with all that power. If the sound becomes distressed turn it down. I would not even push all 200 watts into my 3as as the mids and tweeters could go. Common sense is what it takes when listening.

Thank you to all. This is great info. I am all about preserving the life of the AR-2ax.

If my AR-2ax tweeters should fail I would be man with out a soul. They are one of the most beautiful creations that I hold dear to my heart and I do not even know if they work. But what I do know is that I now have the best sound that I have ever heard, and it is coming out of the speakers that I was drawn to. Perhaps it is best to not know. At least for now.

Dose anyone know of a better looking tweeter than that of the AR-2ax?

Thank you to all. This is great info. I am all about preserving the life of the AR-2ax.

If my AR-2ax tweeters should fail I would be man with out a soul. They are one of the most beautiful creations that I hold dear to my heart and I do not even know if they work. But what I do know is that I now have the best sound that I have ever heard, and it is coming out of the speakers that I was drawn to. Perhaps it is best to not know. At least for now.

Dose anyone know of a better looking tweeter than that of the AR-2ax?

If you hear no sound coming from the tweeters, try rotating the tweeter pots on the back of the cabinets. The pots tend to corrode/become intermittant.

I'm very curious....If the tweeters are NOT working and you LIKE the sound, why bother fixing them? Especially If the appeal of the original tweeters lies in their "looks".

While tweeters are pleasing to the eye of the beholder, if they have no substance, they will quickly fall from grace.

As a whole the speakers sound great to me (Keep in mind this is all theory. My experience is but little month when it comes to this.) so I assume the tweeters are functional. I just do not know if tweeters are functional. From what I remember reading, the AR-2ax tweeters are difficult to hear but not to enjoy. I find no joy in admitting this but I have tried the paper towel tube to ear method to no prevail -- I cannot tell for certain if I am listening to the mids next door. I do know that the knobs on the back are not smooth when turned so I assume that I will have to open it up someday to clean or replace the pots. At that time I will have to take a closer look at the speakers and such. For now (because I assume there is no way to tell if the tweeters are proper without open surgery) I will just enjoy the moment and hope all is well.

Archived