Thiele-Small parameters for early AR 2* and AR 3*

2s56p94imp

Has anyone made Thiele/Small parameter measurements for the early AR-2* and AR-3* drivers produced during the 1960-1972 period? If so, could you provide a link to the information.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

What woofers? Alnico magnet, cast frame, cloth surround type? Or, ceramic magnet, foam surround type?

I would like to see Thiele/Small parameters for the alnico cast aluminum frame cloth surround woofers and the later woofers with the ceramic magnets and foam surrounds. The 'fried egg" brown dome tweeter with 4 foam dots and the front entry aluminum wires would be nice to hear about too.

I would guess that the woofers have to be tested in cabinet so that there is less risk of damaging them during testing.

Thanks.

Joe

Just keep in mind these are just one test data point and should not be construed as representative of a population of each sample type.

Also, these tests were run at low power soon after a fresh repair or refoam (in the case of the ceramic) with no break in.

Siegels AR3 alnico magnet woofer reglue.doc

AR3a ceramic woofer imp phase test.doc

Carl;

Do you do on axis and off axis measurements of the tweeters? (Not so much the original AR tweeters but any recommended replacements)

I do see some tweeters on MCM, Parts Express and Simply Speakers that do not include that data. That said, the chances are that if they do not include dispersion data they probably are not very proud of it in a particular product.

I recently saw the post that had a picture showing AR discarded tweeters in large barrels at the factory. Process problems in manufacture were probably the cause of that. Perhaps today manufacturing processes are able to hold to closer tolerances. I noted one manufacturer which stated that their speakers were all manufactured using robotic controls. Periodic sampling of completed drivers are likely done to verify complance to company established requirements.

Looking at some currently available woofers from various manufacturers, I do not see any that appear to have Fs, Qts and Vas close to the original AR 2* and AR 3* units. Most that seem to come close in Qts and Fs are quite expensive and intended for applications with much more power than the ones AR used.

I have some existing RS acoustic suspension 10" woofers that are in cabinets which kill midrange/tweeter response and I have been thinking about using them and some of the AR midrange and tweeters to construct utility speakers to use in my workshop. I could just buy some new speakers, but I enjoy building things. I found some good websites with software for calculating ported box, Butterworth B4 ported and sealed boxes. I tend to prefer the sealed box approach, but there are not a lot of choices that I have found. The RS woofers I have are suitable, though not the best.

Carl, your website is very informative and has excellent photographs of refoam and recone processes. Great job!

Pete;

I enjoyed your website. Nice data on speakers and good resume. Hope your career continues to provide enjoyment and good monetary rewards.

I have both websites bookmarked and plan to visit them from time to time to see any updates.

Congratulations to both of you for being so helpful!

Joe

N Central Texas

Carl;

Do you do on axis and off axis measurements of the tweeters? (Not so much the original AR tweeters but any recommended replacements)

I do see some tweeters on MCM, Parts Express and Simply Speakers that do not include that data. That said, the chances are that if they do not include dispersion data they probably are not very proud of it in a particular product.

Joe

N Central Texas

I have done some on replacement tweeters. Do an advanced search using 'tweeters' keyword and carlspeak as author. You should get some hits.

• 5 years later...
On 9/18/2017 at 10:42 PM, transducereng said:

Hi Joe

Were you able to build those transducers ? Thanks

Interesting screen name transducereng = transducer engineer I take it, wonder if this is 

someone we might know from the industry.

Archived