AR3a Cross-Over up-grade' Confirmation

speakone

I would like to thank Mr. Kent for all his help and his friends as well for helping me to try and understand the conversion process of changing from Pots' to L-Pads.

I found what was throwing me off was that the one Yellow wire that is in the AR3a is actualy tied to both the + of the Tweeter & the Mid-Range then it goes to the # 2 Lug of the Mid range Pot & the # 2 Lug of the Tweeter Pot and lastley to the T- Terminal.

Why they did this escapes me I can see tying the two grounds together but I have never seen tying two +'s together.

When one is not use to dealing with this kind of design it realy messes with ones' mind when one is use to dealing with two Negitives tied together and has delt with that things seem to make sense' but when two positives are tied together it's like what the Heck!!!.

So now that I know this I hope all things being equal that if I do like what is stated in the AR-3a reference guide that if I pay attention to the fact that I'm using L-Pads now not Pots' and I understand the yellow wire goes to Lug # 1 to both the Mid-Range and Tweeter L-Pads and finally to the T-Terminal I should be OK.

Lastley if I do as suggested by installing a 25 Ohm Resistor on both the Mid range & tweeter L-Pad on Lugs' 1 & 2 this will i guess put me closer to having the sound being improved or close like factory settings.

I would be greatful for any Experts comments and again thanks to every one who has helped me and looked at my posts'

Best regards'

John

Why would you want to change from pots to true lpads. Are you sure you know the difference between a pot and an l pad and being all ar used in early speakers is pots, why the change.

Are you aware tthat you can get pots in the 8 dollar range from vintage ar and make an easy switch or clean your original pots.

Dear friend

Thank you for asking! trust me i would rather stay the course and get the Ohmite replacements and move on.

The reason is because I don't have the Money to buy the Ohmite replacement Pots'and because of this it has been a very painful experience.

Thanks again for asking I hope some can confirm or address my questions that I had asked about though.

Best regards'

John

Why would you want to change from pots to true lpads. Are you sure you know the difference between a pot and an l pad and being all ar used in early speakers is pots, why the change.

A-P pots corrode and even after cleaning have dead spots. They will corrode again. L-pads are cheap and trouble-free. Restorers whom I respect use and recommend L-pads. As for Ohmite pots they are ridiculously expensive and are open in back. I installed Ohmites that I found years ago for $8 each in my AR-3a's. A real PITA to enclose in a suitable box that's not too big, not too small, will allow heat dissipation, etc.

I say: Use L-pads.

YMMV ;)

Kent

Archived