AR94S vs AR94SX

Carlspeak

newbie here -

just got a pair of 94Si's that need re-foaming.. that part is done. but I read on here where the wood caps can can be refinished. it didn't look to me like they were removed very easily so I was planning on skipping over that - How did you guys get them off?  just pry them off? 

Welcome Quad

I did mine a while back and have since sold them but IIRC the top and bottom pop off so you can replace the sock. And I did refinish the tops. There are threads here about mods, like moving the low range woofer to the bottom position, changing cap values. I did away with the sock, built a frame for a regular grille, moved the terminals to the back and added an L-pad tweeter control.

RoyC suggested a couple of mods: Reduce the 5uF tweeter cap to 4uF, Increase the 40uF cap to 70 or more (I noticed the 94S had a 100uF cap), put the woofer on the bottom.

I see the guy who bought them fairly often and he loves them.

-Kent

My son from Chicago brought me a pair of 94R speakers he picked up for $50.00. Have had no time to reform them yet, but they deffentaly have black vinyl or plastic tops. Will post back what kind of drivers and crossovers they contain. 

Archived