How to hunt for a KLH Model Twenty+

fortinbras79

The Plus is just a Twenty in a fancier package (and that's according to the original KLH ad). Model Twenty systems typically sell for about a hundred bucks. I've seen the Plus on ebay for 5 to 10 times that amount. Only you can decide what it's "worth" to you. You pay a premium price for the 60s modern look. Like all KLH systems, the turntable is terrible and the amp is mediocre. Strong points are the tuner and speakers, but even there the speakers are no where near TOTL. Everything should be recapped and the TT and electronics should be serviced. So (IMHO) a model Twenty Plus is something you buy more as "furniture" than "hi-fi."

Good luck with your shopping.

Kent

post-101828-0-41569700-1328277332_thumb.

The dimensions on that brochure are confusing. It says heights include the stands, but they're only shown at ~15" high. I know the cabinets are deeper than the regular Model Twenty; I'm trying to determine if the woofer is bigger (approximately 12", as opposed to approximately 10" for the regular Twenty). If so, it might be one of the better KLH speakers, at least of their era. The Twenty is a 4 ohm version of the 17, a very good performer for its price.

• 2 weeks later...

One recently sold on e-bay for $2200.00! I purchased one 3 years ago at an auction for $250.00 and I would have gladly paid more.

It did not work and I did not know that at the time (just a hum was all I could get) the cabinets are in excellent condition. I repaired it myself by swapping out a known good model 20 chassis into the cabinet. It works and sounds excellent. These things are worth some serious coin in great condition. I have no intention of ever parting with mine.

My point being a unit that plays and sounds is the best case. If it does not play do not let that deter you. Parts are available to

take care of anything you might need to get it up and going.

Archived