AR 3a vs 3A improved

ironlake

Until the experts check in... as I understand it, the improved was a European-only offering. I don't know its time line.

There is a difference which I can't remember.There is a couple of threads on them.They changed something to make the sound more appealing to the europeans.It also corrected one of the complaints of north americans.i just can't remember.I did a search about a month ago because a guy had a pair forsale near me with a marantz 2270 reciever for $500.It took a week to convince myself it was over my budget.That was a long week.LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

what is the difference between the two speakers? thanks for answers

Hi there

I posted the hand drawn schematic here that my brother did of the AR-3A Improved speaker system a few months ago.

It is somewhere among ther 500+ files I uploaded to here for addition to the library.

He knew someone that owned a pair up country and I had an opportunity to hear another pair here back in the late '70s.

I believe that my brother wrote to AR asking about a conversion from AR-3A to AR-3A Improved.

I may have that letter and the reply in my files still to be posted.

I'll ask him what his impression was of them as he also owned AR-3A's as well.

When I bought my AR-6s I asked AR for a brochure.They sent me one for the 3a improved,5,2ax,6,4xa,7,LST,LST 2 and MST range. The description for the AR-3a improved includes the following,

"Concepts and techniques developed for the AR-LST and other AR speaker systems have now enabled AR engineers to improve the spectral energy characteristics of the AR-3a and further reduce its already small degree of coloration,while retaining all the virtues of the original design. These improvements have been accomplished by means of significant changes in the design of the crossover : all other components,including drive units and cabinet,are exactly the same as those of the AR-3a.

The AR-3a improved is capable of a more linear spectral energy output than was the AR-3a. A two - position switch makes it possible to tailor this characteristic for maximum realism under either reverberant or relatively damped listening conditions."

Hope this helps,

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

When I bought my AR-6s I asked AR for a brochure.They sent me one for the 3a improved,5,2ax,6,4xa,7,LST,LST 2 and MST range. The description for the AR-3a improved includes the following,

Hi Mike

Could you please provide some good quality scans of the brochure you have?

BRgds Klaus

Hi Mike

Could you please provide some good quality scans of the brochure you have?

BRgds Klaus

Hi Klaus,

Refoam woofers yes. Fit new linen yes. Good quality scans - that's the problem! I don't have a scanner and my computer skills are more primordial slime than dinosaur.

However I will attempt this at the weekend with the aid of a friend. If the worst comes to the worst I can send you a copy of the booklet.

Watch this space!

Mike.

Archived