Practical to upgrade a AR-2AX to AR-5???

Tom H.

I’m just curious. What are the differences between the AR-2AX and AR-5 besides the mid range driver? Is it possible to upgrade an AR-2AX to an AR-5 without too much trouble? (Assuming you could find a good pair of mid range drivers.) Are the mid-range baffle cut-outs the same?

What crossover changes would be required if any?

Has anyone compared the sound of the AR-2AX to the AR-5?

I’m just curious. What are the differences between the AR-2AX and AR-5 besides the mid range driver? Is it possible to upgrade an AR-2AX to an AR-5 without too much trouble? (Assuming you could find a good pair of mid range drivers.) Are the mid-range baffle cut-outs the same?

The AR-5 and 2ax share a cabinet of the same dimensions, (later) woofer, and tweeter. The AR-5 crossover is completely different, however, being more complex with more components (much more like the AR-3a crossover). The 2ax mid hole would have to be enlarged, but that is not easily accomplished due to the 2ax tweeter location.

Roy

Hi there

I've not heard any comment about anyone else doing a AR-2AX to AR-5 conversion, yet.

The AR-2AX had many very positive reviews back in the days.

This was before the issue of the AR-5's of course.

The earliest AR-2AX speaker version had the alnico magnet, cloth surround woofer, as well.

When the AR-5 came out there may have been an overlap of the AR-2AX using up the older woofers in production until they phased in the newer

foam surround version of woofer.

I believe that there was some positive AR-5 reviews as well, considering it was only slightly better and more money than the AR-2AX's.

It was of course compared to the AR-3A's.

I don't have any AR-2AX or AR-5 reviews to look at so I cannot tell you anymore in that regards.

The AR-5 is another matter.

Sadly the midrange drivers are not too plentiful as they are 8 ohms and were used only in the AR-5 and AR-LST-2 speaker system.

Ebuy usually has a driver or two intermittantly when a speaker is gutted by the seller for the parts sale.

The AR-5 was brought out to be a close, but not quite equal, to AR-3A speaker but without the very deepest bass.

I never had an A - B comparison of the two speakers, nor of the AR-2AX versus the AR-5.

There is likely a tonal balance difference between the AR-5 and AR-3A speaker system.

My big bros had both of these speakers, plus he also had, AR-4X's and AR-2AX's, he worked his way up the ladder.

He bought the AR-5's earliest in pine, veneered them, sold them and went for the AR-3A's, instead.

He commented to me that he preferred the AR-3A's of course.

After a brief period he went for the AR-LST's.

Roy has given you a few pointers as to what you will be facing if you should proceed with the modification, good luck.

Please keep us posted as to your progress and ask for help or ideas here if you need it.

Considering you will need to spend $100.00+ each speaker for the extra parts it is worth thinking about at least.

UPDATE 20111012 9:00 AM

When the AR-5 came out there may have been an overlap of the AR-2AX using up the older woofers in production until they phased in the newer

foam surround version of woofer.

This was only in reference to the AR-2AX production line.

The AR-5 had a newly designed, including surround material and magnet assembly woofer, which was later adopted by the AR-2AX model.

I was suggesting that there may have been old stock woofers held just for the AR-2AX's.

I remember writing to AR about the new surround and cone material.

The reply I received was, "there was no audible difference between woofers".

This was also in my request about the AR-3A woofers difference.

It was way too early to see foam rot start.

AR brochures showed both the AR-2 series and AR-3 series with the earlier cloth surround for several years after the conversions.

I feel that this was to not confuse customers and to allow old stock to clear the warehouse.

IIRC the foam surround woofer was introduced with the AR5, AFAIK they never had the cloth surround woofers. also, IIRC originally the AR5 had a specific woofer that I thought had a different magnet structure than the AR2ax, but within a year of production they were commonized...I could be wrong though

hardest part would be finding the AR5 specific mid, but you should be able to recreate the xover fairly easily, I'm sure someone has documented inductor and cap values somewhere. If you have measurement equipment, it might be MORE PRACTICAL to buy a modern dome mid, such as a morel CAM558 or hivi DMN-A and develop an appropriate crossover for those drivers to mate with the original woofer and tweet....

I'm not really seriously considering modifiying my AR-2AX's. I was wondering if a pair of AR-5 mids came along if it was an easy modification or not.

I'm really happy with my 2-AX's since I finshed getting them restored!

Thanks for all the input. It's an interesting topic.

I'm not really seriously considering modifiying my AR-2AX's. I was wondering if a pair of AR-5 mids came along if it was an easy modification or not.

I'm really happy with my 2-AX's since I finshed getting them restored!

Thanks for all the input. It's an interesting topic.

Hi there

Gene is quite right in advising you.

They are not commonly sold on ebuy, complete or piecemeal.

You may find curbside, dumpster, 2nd hand stores or Sallyann specials on the AR-5's.

It would have been interesting if AR had done such a conversion, way back when.

UPDATE 11:45 AM

I just visited ebuy and there is a pair of AR-5's on sale at $159.99 starting price.

The seller say's they sound good.

You may wish to follow that auction to see what they go for, plus S&H of course.

If you follow a few AR-5 auctions you will see the trends.

These have zero bids with 2 days left on sale.

Even the best sellers cannot always be certain that every component is working 100%.

This is where there may be issues after long term usage or inadequate shipping care.

If you were to buy these or any other pair of functioning AR-5's, you would likely need to replace their caps and surrounds only.

UPDATE 8:20 PM

If you should persue buying an AR-5 midrange driver, they are very heavy and require special packaging to limit shipping damage.

Hi there

Gene is quite right in advising you.

They are not commonly sold on ebuy, complete or piecemeal.

You may find curbside, dumpster, 2nd hand stores or Sallyann specials on the AR-5's.

It would have been interesting if AR had done such a conversion, way back when.

UPDATE 11:45 AM

I just visited ebuy and there is a pair of AR-5's on sale at $159.99 starting price.

The seller say's they sound good.

You may wish to follow that auction to see what they go for, plus S&H of course.

If you follow a few AR-5 auctions you will see the trends.

These have zero bids with 2 days left on sale.

Even the best sellers cannot always be certain that every component is working 100%.

This is where there may be issues after long term usage or inadequate shipping care.

If you were to buy these or any other pair of functioning AR-5's, you would likely need to replace their caps and surrounds only.

UPDATE 8:20 PM

If you should persue buying an AR-5 midrange driver, they are very heavy and require special packaging to limit shipping damage.

Hi there

Those particular speakers went for $189.16 U$ plus S&H.

Archived