rectilinear grill removal and cloth cleaning

judgejon

Greetings to all from a newbie to the forum.

I've had my RIII's since 1971, and they are still great.

I've never removed the grills, as they are attached by brads (I believe), and not by velcro.

Can anyone share the best way to get the grills off. The fabric is stained, and I'd like to either have it cleaned or get it replaced.

Thanks much. BTW, still using my old Dual 1219 turntable, and Pioneer 727 receiver too.

Cheers to all...

Welcome Jon

Don't know how similar the III and Mini III are in terms of the grilles but here is a thread where I describe restoring the Minis:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=4175

Several issues with the grilles:

• they are nailed on with big 6d finishing nails (or similar). But the grilles CAN be pulled off, or try finding each nail and pulling it with vice grips
  • the cloth is 2-layer. Not the most acoustically transparent IMHO
  • the grille panels are made of cheap cardboard. If you are lucky the III grille cloth will be mounted on something more substantial, like Masonite.
  • it is not likely you will be able to clean the grilles, You "could" try upholstery spray foam but I think the black backing fabric and/or the carboard will bleed through

My suggestion: Make new panels of 1/8" Masonite and cover with a nice fabric such as Irish Linen, available at Michael's craft stores, fabric stores, or try 1-2-3 Stitch (online).

Good luck.

Kent

Welcome Jon

Don't know how similar the III and Mini III are in terms of the grilles but here is a thread where I describe restoring the Minis:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=4175

Several issues with the grilles:

• they are nailed on with big 6d finishing nails (or similar). But the grilles CAN be pulled off, or try finding each nail and pulling it with vice grips
  • the cloth is 2-layer. Not the most acoustically transparent IMHO
  • the grille panels are made of cheap cardboard. If you are lucky the III grille cloth will be mounted on something more substantial, like Masonite.
  • it is not likely you will be able to clean the grilles, You "could" try upholstery spray foam but I think the black backing fabric and/or the carboard will bleed through

My suggestion: Make new panels of 1/8" Masonite and cover with a nice fabric such as Irish Linen, available at Michael's craft stores, fabric stores, or try 1-2-3 Stitch (online).

Good luck.

Kent

My Rec IIIs grilles are mounted on Masonite. They had already been removed when I go them, so can't help there. Be brave and pull them off!

yes, courage! I'll do it the instant I cant stand looking at the stains any longer, and I'll let all y'all know how it comes out. I agree, no other viable option. Cheers....

• 5 years later...

Thanks to JKent and kirk57.

I started this thread a few years ago, but never acted on the good advice.

A tree crashed onto and into our living room last December, and the rebuilding is almost complete.  

With a new living room, I finally decided to "bite the bullet" and change out the fabric on the grills.  

I looked back to my printout of this thread.  I cut the fabric along the bottom and side edges and was able to pull the grills off both of my speakers.

I purchased new fabric today, and have the grills at a local framing shop for a professional recovering.

New mounting will be with velcro.

Gentlemen, thanks for the encouragement and the good advice.  Cheers...

Thanks for the follow-up. Maybe you could post photos after the grilles are finished.

How are the cabinets? If they are oiled walnut and in pretty good shape, a wipe down with Howard Restor-a-Finish, followed by a coat of wax such as Howard Feed-n-Wax could do wonders.

-Kent

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Rectilinear Friends,

I did it.  I changed out the grills and the speakers look great.

I had them in a temp controlled storage unit since Dec, 2015, due to a tree falling on and into our living room.

The speakers survived.  They sound awesome.  And I went ahead and changed out the grills.

My spouse says they look great and sound great.  I'll try to post up a pic.

Thanks to all for the encouragement.  jlIMG_0273.jpg

Archived