klh 6

joe58

i have a klh 6 when i turn the power up to 10 watts and the bass up the woofer rasps anyone has the same problem ? how do you correct it. thanks

Hi there

How do you know that you are sending 10 watts to the speaker?

What do you mean you turn the bass up?

i have a klh 6 when i turn the power up to 10 watts and the bass up the woofer rasps anyone has the same problem ? how do you correct it. thanks

Either the amplifier is clipping or the woofer is damaged. Most likely the woofer is damaged. The KLH Model 6 woofer is rated for 40 watts RMS and is 8 ohms. It's a relatviely easy speaker to drive. It was not designed for and cannot produce rock concert bass at ear shattering levels. Trying it with a modern high powered amplifier would probably damage the voice coil quickly. It may have also suffered physical damage. This happened to me by accident with an AR2a woofer and 60 hz hum from a faulty input connection using a Pioneer SX950 receiver rated at about 80wpc. If this is an early version where the woofer is epoxied into the baffle board, it may not be repairable. Otherwise it can be repaired by someone expert in this area Like Bill Degall at Millersound.

Try the speaker with a different amplifier that has sufficient power to determine that it is not the amplifier.

Given the price of this speaker system on the open market and its relatively easy availability, it may be better to just buy a replacement.

Most likely the woofer is damaged.

If this is an early version where the woofer is epoxied into the baffle board, it may not be repairable. Otherwise it can be repaired by someone expert in this area Like Bill Degall at Millersound.

Given the price of this speaker system on the open market and its relatively easy availability, it may be better to just buy a replacement.

I agree.

btw--it's LeGall. http://www.millersound.net/about.htm

If you have a cloth-surround woofer that is NOT epoxied, there are several on ebay. Just be careful: I've not been in a Six but assuming that is a 10" woofer, 8 ohm speaker system, do not make the mistake of buying a 10" woofer from a Model Twenty--those are 4 ohm. The nearly identical Seventeens (and others) are 8 ohm.

Kent

I agree.

btw--it's LeGall. http://www.millersound.net/about.htm

If you have a cloth-surround woofer that is NOT epoxied, there are several on ebay. Just be careful: I've not been in a Six but assuming that is a 10" woofer, 8 ohm speaker system, do not make the mistake of buying a 10" woofer from a Model Twenty--those are 4 ohm. The nearly identical Seventeens (and others) are 8 ohm.

Kent

The KLH model 6 was advertised as a 12" woofer. Yet its effective radiating surface is exactly the same as AR2 series described as a 10" woofer, 7" effective piston diameter (AR3 is 8"). The confusion comes from the fact that woofer diameter is conventionally described by the distance between opposite mounting holes. What's in between them doesn't seem to count in the specification. KLH model 17 is smaller but I don't have a sample to measure.

The KLH model 6 was advertised as a 12" woofer. Yet its effective radiating surface is exactly the same as AR2 series described as a 10" woofer, 7" effective piston diameter (AR3 is 8"). The confusion comes from the fact that woofer diameter is conventionally described by the distance between opposite mounting holes. What's in between them doesn't seem to count in the specification. KLH model 17 is smaller but I don't have a sample to measure.

Ah--I was afraid of that. The Index of Classic KLH Products in our Library lists the woofer as 10” but there are a number of errors in that spreadsheet. Should have looked at the sales lit. So...

KLH advertised the Models Five, Six, Seven and Twelve as having a 12" woofer.

I just measured the woofers on my Twelves and the total diameter of the metal frame is..... 10-3/4" (!)

So, I'd say a woofer from any of those models should fit.

The Model Four has a 12” woofer but it’s 16 ohm.

Another error in the spreadsheet: It gives the woofer size of the Model Ten as 12" while KLH sales lit says it’s 10”

According to the spreadsheet, the Thirty had the exact same drivers as the Six. I dunno :huh:

Kent

Ah--I was afraid of that. The Index of Classic KLH Products in our Library lists the woofer as 10” but there are a number of errors in that spreadsheet. Should have looked at the sales lit. So...

KLH advertised the Models Five, Six, Seven and Twelve as having a 12" woofer.

I just measured the woofers on my Twelves and the total diameter of the metal frame is..... 10-3/4" (!)

So, I'd say a woofer from any of those models should fit.

The Model Four has a 12” woofer but it’s 16 ohm.

Another error in the spreadsheet: It gives the woofer size of the Model Ten as 12" while KLH sales lit says it’s 10”

According to the spreadsheet, the Thirty had the exact same drivers as the Six. I dunno :huh:

Kent

The confusion appears to be in the different variants of the woofer. The early epoxied unit seems to have had holes about 11 1/2" apart covered over from the front with wood filler. This was probably how the woofer was temporarily mounted possibly with screws until the epoxy cured. The opening in the baffle is around 9 3/4". A later screwed in version seems to have the holes in the metal frame around 10 3/8" apart. Take your pick. However wide the mounting holes in the frame it's still the same woofer. KLH Model 17 was advertized as a 10" system back in its day.

The first page of the manual for KLH model 6 in the library describes it as a 12" 2 way system.

The later model 6 with a screw-in woofer is a 10" unit, like here

Well, yes and no. What KLH called a "12 inch woofer" was in fact 10 3/4" diameter at the outer rim. Whether you think this is truth in advertising or not, it looks like the Models Five, Six, Seven, Twelve, maybe others all used the same 8 ohm "12 inch" woofer that was really 10 3/4"

Wish I still had the Model Seventeens or Twenties to measure but they've been sold. I should check the Model Twenty-Fours.

Kent

Archived