AR 10PI Refoam-Rehab

Tom H.

Hi Everyone,

My son and I have recently acquired a pair of AR-10pi's. They look to be in really good shape. I have a re-foam kit coming from John at Mcpeak Sound. From looking around the internet and going from John’s advice, I feel that we have a pretty good handle on what it is going to take to install the re-foam kit.

I have a few other questions to start with:

Has anyone ever offered an explanation as to what the pi stands for in the 10pi model number?

Apparently the 10pi had a foam grill to start with. Is there a source for this foam material? I see someone on ebay selling a frame for the 10pi but apparently the grill cover did not have a frame but just a one piece foam grill.

Did every 10pi come with a sound absorption doughnut ring around the tweeter? Our speakers don't seem to have ever had any.

I’ve spent hours on this site over the last week. This looks like by far the best resource for restoring/loving classic speakers! I’m glad I found you guys and we are looking forward to waking up our 10pi speakers.

Tom H.

Bismarck, ND

"pi" is refered to sound enviroment placement,which there are 3 basic solid angles (quarter-sphere) which is related to corner room speaker placement,(hemis-phere)which is along one wall and (full-sphere) which is away from all surfaces like being placed in center of room.Since the 10pi uses a woofer enviromental control settings AR was able to provide the correct level of bass rersponce and energy levels and accurancy no matter what room placement the user would choose.The damping foam ring

can be purchase through two possible choices, one being here https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=770 or Ebayer Vintage-AR.The foam grills are more likely NLA unless you happen to get lucky and find some on Ebay but for now only other option is to go with Vintage-AR replica selling on ebay.

More information can be found here http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/add_series_1975-1978/add_series_brochures/ar-10pi_brochure/

Thanks for the informaiton Ron. Looks like you have a great collection of vintage AR speakers on hand. I ordered a pair of tweeter rings from vintage-ar. They look like a pretty nice replacement for the original.

How thick was the foam on the 10pi speakers? I found some generic speaker grill foam available on a web site ready to cut. It's available in various thickness. I think it would be tough though to get the bevel that the original foam grills apparently had.

My speakers still have all the velcro strips on them on the sound board. I think they are there from the factory.

Thanks, Tom

Tom,

The foam grills on my AR10pi are original and they measure 1 in thick,I attached some photos of my grills. The foam damping ring on my tweeters are also original with some ageing,but not enough for me to replace and they appear to be about 1/8in thick.

post-101032-0-65865800-1304188808_thumb.

post-101032-0-14521300-1304188820_thumb.

How thick was the foam on the 10pi speakers? I found some generic speaker grill foam available on a web site ready to cut. It's available in various thickness. I think it would be tough though to get the bevel that the original foam grills apparently had.

My speakers still have all the velcro strips on them on the sound board. I think they are there from the factory.

Thanks, Tom

I bought ½" thick grill foam and made new grills for my AR10Pi with two layers glued together, look in this post:

10Pi foam grill

BRgds Klaus

Thanks for the input everyone. I think the hardest part of replicating the 10pi foam grill is cutting the bevel. I saw that blue hand-held cutter on ebay. It looks to me like more of a hard foam cutter. I'll have to do more checking out.

Tom.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think the hardest part of replicating the 10pi foam grill is cutting the bevel. I saw that blue hand-held cutter on ebay. It looks to me like more of a hard foam cutter. I'll have to do more checking out.

Tom.

dumb idea, but if you have a chest freezer, how about taking the foam, wetting it to the point where it's wet, but not dripping, put it on a flat board (foam board? etc), freezing it, then cutting it with a table saw when it's frozen?

Archived