AR 5 Tweeter Questions

pjsjr

I have a new to me pair of AR 5s. One of the tiny tweeter wires is broken...what research I've done is confusing, in that, it can be soldered...but it won't be right.

Has anyone of you soldered the tweeter wire? What do you think?

I know that the tweeter from the 2AX is a direct replacement, is this the way to go? Thanks, Preston

If the wire is broken outside the dome, it can be resoldered and should work fine. Under the dome, there are some people who say they've reconnected the wire, but I'm not one of them.

It is outside the dome.

I forgot to ask about the wire...is it coated?...should I do anything to the sire prior to soldering? Thanks, Preston

Kent, thanks for the welcome. I've lurked here for sometime.

I have had an AR XA for a long time and have wanted to complement it with AR speakers and the AR amp...I'm close to that goal.

Those silver-plated connectors shown in the guide look interesting...where does one find such tiny items? Preston

• 2 weeks later...

After many unsuccessful attempts at soldering the tiny tweeter wire I searched for connectors and found several that I thought might work...after talking with Mike at Mouser I ordered two different styles. Mike spent 20-25 minutes on the phones with me and I have to say I was impressed with his willingness to help especially with knowing that it would be such a small order.

After talking with Mike, I made another attempt at soldering the wires. I was unsuccessful in prior attempts because I couldn't hold the two wires and get the solder to stay until it cooled. To correct this I loosened the tape around the bottom wire and gently pulled it a bit more towards the upper end. I then took aluminum foil and folded it to hold the wires and the solder and was rewarded with success :D . Tested with the DMM and got the same reading as the other tweeter, buttoned everything up and played some tunes B).

The pic is a little dark, edit... to replace pic, but you can make out the little ball of solder just below the orange glob holding the wire as it goes into the speaker. Preston

n2gzew.jpg

The top one is #617-09-15-000-6204 not really what I think would be usable(needs special - expensive - 'connector tool')but it is silver plated as per the AR 3 resto-guide.

The bottom is #571-321198 and tin plated copper...looks to be more likely to be usable. Preston

iwte9v.jpg

Kent, the reason it comes up blank is I forgot to put 09 in between the 617 and the 15...should be 617-09-15-000-6204, Harting, heavy duty power connector. Sorry. You see it is a funky looking thing and would not work as the hole does not go all the way through and there is some kind of splice/cut in the smaller barrel end.

Your most likely right about the size on either...that is one tiny wire...but these where all that were available and I was getting frustrated. Preston

Archived