NOOBIE AR INTRO

DON

Hi everybody. I'm fairly new here but I've been lingering for quite a while. I'm 73yrs. old and I've just recently gotten back into the vintage audio market. I bought a pair of AR2ax speakers in 1973 when I was stationed in Germany. They were unlike any AR2ax speakers I've seen except for one pair on e-bay. They were walnut with a fairly dark brown grille. There was a narrow piece of wood trim on the front edges of the cabinets. They were beautiful........well my wife and I thought so. Soon after my wife passed in1995 I foolishly sold my ARs at garage sale for a give away price. I now have B&W 801 Matrix, 803 Matrix, 805 Matrix and 805 Nautilus as my main speakers so I really don't need any more speakers but "need" has seldom been the reason for buying more speakers. Over the past several months I've managed to replace the ADS L710s that I gave away and the polk Monitor 10s that I sold. I'm now looking to replace my ARs with 3s or 5s but I've never seen a pair for sale around here so CL and e-bay have been my source. The e-bay prices are so extravagant I'm tempted to message the sellers and tell them what I think. Some of the ARs on e-bay look as if they came out of the trash or had been used as benches in a shop. I'll never pay their prices so I'll have to find another source. Estate and garage sales are possibilities if I can beat the dealers. If anyone here has any other suggestions I'd appreciate hearing them.

If anyone here has AR2axs like the ones I described I'd really like to see photos.............so I can kick myself again for ever selling mine.

I'm looking forward to reading all the posts here and if I ever get a pair of ARs I can take part in the discussions.

If anyone here has AR2axs like the ones I described I'd really like to see photos.............so I can kick myself again for ever selling mine.

I'm looking forward to reading all the posts here and if I ever get a pair of ARs I can take part in the discussions.

You are describing the European version of the AR cabinet. They are relatively rare, but show up from time to time. Below is a photo of a pair of European AR-3a cabinets I restored a few years ago.

Roy

post-101150-0-04286000-1301612471_thumb.

Welcome to the forums Don!

You've mentioned quite a few fantastic speakers there

B&W, ADS, etc. very nice choices!

You are describing the European version of the AR cabinet. They are relatively rare, but show up from time to time. Below is a photo of a pair of European AR-3a cabinets I restored a few years ago.

Roy

post-101150-0-04286000-1301612471_thumb.

I knew they were European made......Holland I think but it's been so long I can't remember. Just my luck I'll never see another pair like those.

Have you completed the refurb on the ARs? Post some photos when you get a chance. Thsnks.

Welcome to the forums Don!

You've mentioned quite a few fantastic speakers there

B&W, ADS, etc. very nice choices!

Thanks for the welcome Pete. All the B&W speakers were used but in mint condition. One of the store employees traded his 803s for a pair of 801s so I snatched them up. Another regular customer a little older then me brought 4 801 Matrix speakers and traded for 4 Nautilus 802s. So I got a good deal (by my standards) on one pair of his 801s. I have the ADS 710s and 810s and they are wonderful speakers but they sound different than the B&Ws and I prefer the B&W sound. I've collected several older receivers and amps and my plans are to have a room with all vintage equipment where I can go to remember a better time in my life. The speakers and electronic equipment are much heavier than they were just 10 yrs. ago and I won't be rotating them in and out of my system as often as I first thought. Anyway I'm getting a lot of enjoyment from all my toys.

've spotted some nice ARs and Advents on e-bay but the sellers haven't accepted my offers :(

I think this is the AR-2ax you are talking about which I had owned for quite few years but eventually let go just like all other famous AR speakers I had owned over the course of three decades... I am kind of miss them but I wouldn't kick myself for selling them!

Minh Luong

post-101112-0-92485800-1301951675_thumb.

post-101112-0-88780600-1301951684_thumb.

post-101112-0-75413100-1301951695_thumb.

post-101112-0-66588100-1301951707_thumb.

I think this is the AR-2ax you are talking about which I had owned for quite few years but eventually let go just like all other famous AR speakers I had owned over the course of three decades... I am kind of miss them but I wouldn't kick myself for selling them!

Minh Luong

Those are the ones! I thought they sounded very good after I got them up off the floor on stands weighing about 50lbs. Too close to the floor the bass was thick and boomy. I have much better speakers now but I get homesick when I hear of these. They were the first speakers my wife and I bought and since my wife is no longer here everything associated with her brings back fond memories.

Thanks for posting.

Hi

I do not own a European set of 2AX but only a US set, but I have a picture.

BRgds Klaus

Mine were the same except mine had a dark reddish brown grille. Thanks for the photos.

Archived