AR-6 MYSTERY WOOFER

Carlspeak

The woofer came installed in a pair of 6's to refurbish. Don't think it's original.

Pics below of front and back. The cone's front real color is deep purple and it's loaded with sparkly flecks. The back side of the cone is black with no seam.

No markings on the back plate, frame or cone.

It measures well and seems to do a great job in the cabinet. Both tweeter and woofer measure impressively flat from 60 to 16 kHz.

post-100237-0-89091300-1298321332_thumb.

post-100237-0-06672500-1298321394_thumb.

bass boat metalflake bass drivers!

you sure those aren't original in some limited edition version? ;)

dunno, the dust cap looks like the ones on some eminence 10" DVC subwoofers I bought on parts express buyout....but those are poly cone/rubber surround, and coincidentally model very well in an AR2ax box (which I bought them for, since I got the cabs for $10 empty)

bass boat metalflake bass drivers!

you sure those aren't original in some limited edition version? ;)

Every AR driver I've ever worked on had ID info on it somewhere. Not these. Owner said they bought from someone who said an audiophile replaced the original woofers with these. So, I'm pretty convinced they are not oroginal.

What's your dB tolerance for "impressively flat?" Product reviews from the period cited a LF response down to 50Hz +-3dB and 40 Hz +-6dB.

Impressive in that I've seen a lot worse in similar type, AR4x speaker measurements, and this one is with a non-st'd woofer.

I was just wondering what +- dB range your response to 60Hz was measured at, and how the woofer compared with the same +-3dB and +-6dB ranges the original was measured at in the reviews.

You're trying to compare apples and oranges because I'm sure my measurements were done quite differently that those conducted for the reviews.

FWIW, from 200 to over 16 kHz +- 5 dB on axis with tweeter at about 1M. Near field tweeter meas. +-2 dB from 1.8 kHz. to 16 kHz. Near field woofer from 60 to 200 hz. +- 2-3 hz. Measured box Fc with the WT2 was 57.7 hz with a Qtc of 0.86. These box measurements are as good as any published by Johnieo in his AR4x stuffing studies.

Archived