Wanted: AR-XB Tonearm Counterweight

ToastedAlmond

There's some discussion here about replacing AR headshells, which necessitates replacing the counterweight. Maybe someone on that forum has a weight they don't want. OR, one writer mentioned buying brass bar by the inch. If you know someone who could drill the hole for the tonearm tube and drill/tap a hole for the setscrew you could be in business.

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31089&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Kent

There's some discussion here about replacing AR headshells, which necessitates replacing the counterweight. Maybe someone on that forum has a weight they don't want. OR, one writer mentioned buying brass bar by the inch. If you know someone who could drill the hole for the tonearm tube and drill/tap a hole for the setscrew you could be in business.

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31089&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Kent

Hi Kent

AR supplied free, to an AR XA owner at least, an oversized, as in slightly longer brass counterweight, to be used with a very heavy cartridge as per

their cartridge mounting hardware sheet.

They also, at no charge, supplied a free cartridge shell with the needle end ground off at a 45 degree angle to alow for a few rare cartridges as per

sheet as well.

A Stanton/Pickering cartridge with a dust brush mounted on the front to clean the record grooves, I believe.

Those brushes were removeable anyways, and used a DustBug instead to clean the records.

I was the very happy owner of a new AR XA turntable towards the late '60s.

The memory of opening up the turntable carton and assembling it was great.

They provided the headshell, complete cartridge mounting hardware and even a small red handled screwdriver to complete the cartridge installation, how

considerate.

In some cases the weight of the cartridge was not heavy enough, with the stock headshell and stock counterweight, so they suggested a US nickel be

glued onto the underside of the headshell.

Unless someone has tinkered with the counterweight or headshell, there should be no need to have the heavier brass counterweight, unless the cartridge

is really overwight.

Proper adjustment of the pivot bearings excepted.

There was the earlier Delrin bearings, which may or may not have had some influence on pivot friction.

Vern

dynaco_dan@hotmail.com

Hi Vern

Good to have you back.

I too bought a brand new AR XA in the late 60s. Besides the parts you mention, it also included a neat little balance for setting the weight. I too used the Watts Dustbug. Always used Shure V15 series cartridges.

In the 80s I gave the TT to my friend's teenage daughter. A few years ago she returned it! Happy day! It's awaiting restoration "as soon as I get around to it" ;) I'm currently using an HK T60 'table. Essentially the same design as the AR but with a better tonearm and auto-lift, but it will be nice to have the AR back up and running!

Unfortunately the headshells are no longer free. They go for big bucks. If you follow that link you'll see folks at vinyl engine adapting the tonearm tube to accept standard SME-type Japanese headshells. Neat. That's why they need the heavier counterweight. I posted a question on the vinyl engine site, asking where to get the brass stock and whether the guy wants to sell his old counterweight to Toasted Almond.

btw--that site also has links to pdf files of the AR XA instruction manuals.

Kent

• 3 months later...

If that's what is making a counter-weight tough to find, I'd be happy to trade an AR headshell for one.

I believe I have two AR-XA tone arms, one with four good wires and ground, the other needs a re-wire, plus four of those center posts that sit upon the plastic or metal ball (of which I have no spares) plus one or maybe two brass counter weights, one from an AR-XA which I put an ES-1 carbon fiber arm in its place about two dozen years ago. I do need a good headshell as I have two other as stock AR-XA's without good headshells. I'm also looking to buy or trade for an AR SRC with remote - working or not.

-Steve

Archived