More generic than about AR

JRS11

Hello all, I do not post much but a bit...so here it is, I have some wonderful old, 1972 or 1973 vintage EPI 100's, then I have the Cambridge Soundworks 6's, they are alright but....

So I would like to get a nice New England Speaker, a warm sound, don't need bass heavy, want wood, AR, Advent, EPI, KLH......don't know the lineup of these by size and sound so any help and also being pointed in the right direction would be great.

Thanks much

Joel

Hello all, I do not post much but a bit...so here it is, I have some wonderful old, 1972 or 1973 vintage EPI 100's, then I have the Cambridge Soundworks 6's, they are alright but....

So I would like to get a nice New England Speaker, a warm sound, don't need bass heavy, want wood, AR, Advent, EPI, KLH......don't know the lineup of these by size and sound so any help and also being pointed in the right direction would be great.

Your best bet for vintage NE speakers is the library section of this website.

Thanks much

Joel

Any restrictions on size? Of course most of us here like the AR3a but they are big and because of their popularity tend to be expensive. Down a notch in size and price would be the AR2ax, KLH Five and the Large Advents. KLH Seventeens are a bit smaller. Then there are the AR4x--small and nice, Not too expensive. The KLH 20 is similar to the 17 but will cost less but you have to have an amp that will handle 4 ohm speakers.

Allisons are great but tend to be a little expensive. I had Allison: Fours that were super nice but they usually go for more than $400 and the woofers need refoaming. The tweeters are delicate and hard to find, and the plastic grilles are usually broken.

Sometimes you can find a little-known "sleeper." I found a pristine pair of JansZen J-Z 800 speakers--similar in size to the OLA, 2ax and KLH Five. No one wanted them because they had a conventional tweeter instead of the electrostatic, but these are really nice speakers and cost me almost nothing.

Of course there are many more. Those are just a few I've had experience with.

Good luck

Kent

Archived