KLH 5 Surround Resealing

Larry

I'm new to this but am about to undertake my first refurbishment of a pair of KLH 5s. I plan on recapping the crossover networks as I think that will bring the inoperative tweeters back to life (they appear to be OK). I've seen recommendations on this forum indicating that the cloth surrounds on the woofers should be resealed (mine are rather porus). Various materials have been suggested over the years -- Armorall, thinned silicon latex caulk, Permatex gasket sealant, XL-49 from Orange county Speaker Repair, Aleens Fabric Glue, etc. Is there any current consensus as to what the best product is to use for this? Also, should the mid range surrounds be sealed as well?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Larry

I'm new to this but am about to undertake my first refurbishment of a pair of KLH 5s. I plan on recapping the crossover networks as I think that will bring the inoperative tweeters back to life (they appear to be OK). I've seen recommendations on this forum indicating that the cloth surrounds on the woofers should be resealed (mine are rather porus). Various materials have been suggested over the years -- Armorall, thinned silicon latex caulk, Permatex gasket sealant, XL-49 from Orange county Speaker Repair, Aleens Fabric Glue, etc. Is there any current consensus as to what the best product is to use for this? Also, should the mid range surrounds be sealed as well?

Larry

Welcome to CSP Larry!

I would suggest you recap the crossovers then see how the speakers sound. Most of the coatings you mention will do more harm than good IMHO. Much of that stuff slowly hardens with age, degrading the sound of the woofer. The best thing to use, IF it is available, is the formula cooked up by RoyC after much experimenting. Maybe he will chime in here or you could send him a PM. Good luck with your project.

Kent

Larry

Hi Larry,

This topic has been discussed often, and a forum search in the AR section of the forum will provide some posts for you to read on this subject.

The bottom line is that anything that "dries" on the surround will likely reduce compliance as well. Further, since the old woofers already have the original sealant on their surrounds, adding too much of anything is not a good idea, as it may also negatively affect other parameters. Unfortunately, KLH woofers have often become porous with time, and can often use some re-sealing.

I spent a fair amount of time researching this issue, and developed a material that works very well as a re-sealant. It is light, never dries, and will not increase fs. Much like the original sealants, it is butyl rubber based and remains tacky.

Attached are some pics of a recent KLH 5 restoration. Send me a PM if I may be of assistance.

Roy

post-101150-1275486920.jpg post-101150-1275486905.jpg post-101150-1275486864.jpg

Archived