AR5 72uf cap

wilson

Hi Folks, I want to re-cap my AR-5's. I am planning to go with Solen's or Dayton's but I'm getting conflicting info about the 72uf.

I guess because the metallized polypro caps get expensive as they get big, some people go with non-polarized electrolytics, or a combination of an electrolytic and a polypro. In my limited experience electrolytics are for filtering power supplies, not for signals, so when I read things like "It doesn't matter with the woofer" as rational for not using a polypro cap, I get a bit suspicious.

The logic behind using a fairly big electrolytic combined with a smaller more expensive signal cap to get to the full 72uf

totally escapes me.

The Dayton 75uf caps are only $17 each and I'm certainly willing to buy them if it's the proper way to go, but I'm also not

opposed to saving $30 if it truly makes no difference.

Thanks for all your help.

In my limited experience electrolytics are for filtering power supplies, not for signals

Consider this: The originals were virtually always electrolytics.

The big advantage to film caps is they last forever (well, almost) while the NPE may last 10 or 20 years.

When I recapped my KLH Twelves I used film caps where they would fit, but used Bennic 40uF NPEs (+ 10uF mylar) because of size constraints.

Here is the thread. Post #34 has pictures

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...amp;#entry73728

Kent

Archived