KLH Twenty Two Model 22 Cap Replacement

Angelo

Hello New to this forum, have a question about the model 22 speakers. Does anyone know what the value of the capacitor is for these speakers. Unfortunately each one in each cab is blown so there is no way of measuring its value. The tweeters do not work so I bypassed the cap and they worked so I need to replace these caps. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe 4 uf.... Thank You.

4278181928_e9e42d13a4_o.jpg

4278181932_0d50d99c45_o.jpg

4278181940_974ea14959_o.jpg

Welcome to CSP!

I'm not familiar with the 22 but I just recapped the 24 and they are similar. What you have there is an inductor with a cap taped to it with black tape. Cut the nylon cable tie, slit the tape and you should be able to read the marking on the cap (the cylinder with red wires coming out of the ends). Here is a pic of the 24 xo. It has an inductor, a 3 ohm resistor and a 2-part cap: 4 uF and 16uF.

A photo of the new xo is in this thread:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=5276

Keep us posted.

Kent

post-101828-1263620051.jpg

Kent,

Thanks for the information!! Cut the tape and found out it is a 4 uf cap. The casing is cracked must have been overloaded. Will be replacing them with 5% caps. Here are some pictures of X-over. Will add pictures of the new cap and speakers. Thanks Again ;)

4288984281_6753ecedfa_o.jpg

4288984285_977a90c777_o.jpg

4288984291_db0d04c9ab_o.jpg

Kent,

Thanks for the information!! Cut the tape and found out it is a 4 uf cap. The casing is cracked must have been overloaded. Will be replacing them with 5% caps. Here are some pictures of X-over. Will add pictures of the new cap and speakers. Thanks Again ;)

Great! :D

John O'Hanlon wrote a scholarly explanation of why the black and red PVC caps have a 99.99% failure rate. All that matters AFAIK is: KLH used a lot of those black and red caps. The caps are bad. Replace them with new film caps (or even NPEs) and both you and your speakers will be happy.

Good luck.

Kent

• 2 weeks later...

Well Kent, Just finished 1 speaker, sounds wonderful. Before I do the other one I am interested why it has a black cloth grill and a piece over the woofer. The tweeter and woofer are painted black around the edges, notice the way the tweeter is mounted compared to the other one. Was this done by someone or was it original from factory? I have added pictures of the 2 cabinets to help in the evaluation. Thanks

4313937729_84853c3564_o.jpg

4313937743_f884c37d92_o.jpg

4313937745_da3e31669a_o.jpg

Some of the tweeter frames were painted black so that could be original. The original grille was 2 layers: sheer black cloth covered by the light color (usually) boucle or sometimes a brown tweed. Looks like someone replaced the grille cloth and added that scrap to "protect" the woofer. I'd remove it--the less in front of the driver the better.

Kent

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...

To answer the above question, the 22 and 24, plus the 26 are identical and use an 8" woofer and 3.5" paper cone tweeter. (So too did the Model 25 console stereo.)  The 17 uses a 10" woofer and a phenolic tweeter.  Basically except for the 17s, they're all Model 22s.  The 22s were offered as standalone speakers, while the 24s and 26 were the exact same speaker when included with the model 24 and 26 all-in-one systems.  The 22s and 24s had conventional binding posts for speaker attachment, whereas the 24 Series II and 26 used RCAs.

KLH used three different crossover designs for these.  Some used the crossover in Angelo's photo above, others used the type shown in JKent's post and the third type is shown in the photo below. So far I've been unable to figure out date/model points for when the crossovers were updated/changed.

KLH%2024-2%20XO%20004_zpsidgticke.jpg

Archived