Go Wild men, go Wild!

frankmarsi

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=+site:a...8aec8f715611eed

Hours of reading, just hours of the AR 'clan' talk. It's been this way since I knew them from 1966 or shortly before (hey I was only 16yrs. old). Then, years afterward I bought my first pair of AR-3a's in 1972, after much reading in "Hi-Fidelity" and "Stereo-Review" and "Audio" magazine and don't forget "Popular-Mechanics" and "Popular-Science" magazines. The years that followed found me buying 2ax's, more LST's ,more 3a's and 4ax's. Presently the 'obsession' has granted me 6-LST's, 6-3a's, 4-2ax's, and 2-4axs'. Since 1966 to almost 2010, I find myself pretty happy, so much so that I'm gushing and really can't speak at this point, right now tonight, but I certainly will after.

Not a bad haul for an 'AR' fisher man of so many years. I love 'chewing the fat" and reading on the web, especially with things I never saw before regarding that "AR' thing.

FM, lost in "AR" thought!

• 3 weeks later...

Soory for the long delay in resonding Its just that I came accross you bit and had to say congrates.You are a true AR man,one that likes to talk about it as well.I am really just starting on an AR quest I have soom mint AR LST 2 refurbed to original, man they are sweet.I have advents EPI Dynaco and some other clossed box design stuff as well as lots of JBL Altec Vitavix PSB Cornwall etc etc Lots of different power amps and preamps vintage and state of the art.Fun hobby and it keeps me out of the bar.Let me know what some of your fav ARs are ,sa I need to knwo what to aim for next..... cheers cliffe

I do wish I had caught on the the AR thing long ago. But since catching the bug about 5 years ago I have 4 3a's, 4 2AX's, 2 5's, 2 4X's, and 4 project 3's.

I recently grabbed some Klipsch Forte's on local CL. For $200 I had to if just to flip them. I do not like them with big SS stuff I use with my AR's. But with tubes they are nice. I have a Zenith SET 6BQ5 project that's near completion and I'll hang on to them at least till I have a chance to hear them with that little amp.

But so far I still like my big Sui with AR's. To me they have a "tube like" sound all their own. Just smooth, room filling bass with such great tone. They are very hard to beat indeed. So why do I have all this non-AR stuff laying around? Audio OCD!

Enjoy your AR's. I would love to hear the LST's some day.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=+site:a...8aec8f715611eed

Hours of reading, just hours of the AR 'clan' talk. It's been this way since I knew them from 1966 or shortly before (hey I was only 16yrs. old). Then, years afterward I bought my first pair of AR-3a's in 1972, after much reading in "Hi-Fidelity" and "Stereo-Review" and "Audio" magazine and don't forget "Popular-Mechanics" and "Popular-Science" magazines. The years that followed found me buying 2ax's, more LST's ,more 3a's and 4ax's. Presently the 'obsession' has granted me 6-LST's, 6-3a's, 4-2ax's, and 2-4axs'. Since 1966 to almost 2010, I find myself pretty happy, so much so that I'm gushing and really can't speak at this point, right now tonight, but I certainly will after.

Not a bad haul for an 'AR' fisher man of so many years. I love 'chewing the fat" and reading on the web, especially with things I never saw before regarding that "AR' thing.

FM, lost in "AR" thought!

Well Frank you are getting close but sit down smoke another one

10 LST

5 LST II

5 Mist

4 AR9

4 AR90

4 AR98

2 AR 91

4 AR 58s

6 AR11

2 AR10pi

4 AR 3 a

4 AR3

2 AR 9ls

4 AR98ls

2 AR 72ls

6 AR amps

2 AR receivers

some others not sure right now

And that is just the AR

so get hopping go shopping

Have nice day Frank I will get you a picture this summer

Well Frank you are getting close but sit down smoke another one

10 LST

5 LST II

5 Mist

4 AR9

4 AR90

4 AR98

2 AR 91

4 AR 58s

6 AR11

2 AR10pi

4 AR 3 a

4 AR3

2 AR 9ls

4 AR98ls

2 AR 72ls

6 AR amps

2 AR receivers

some others not sure right now

And that is just the AR

so get hopping go shopping

Have nice day Frank I will get you a picture this summer

1-18-10

Sheeshez, Gee... Ralph, and I thought I was going to Kernarshy or Flatbush, or ‘Sheephead’s Bay’, or Dekalb Ave.!

“Roundhome” may be your name, but-a I see you’re living in an AR speaker home! I guess that’s why you call yourself “roundhome- everything there is round in terms of your collection and what your eyes see of all those speakers.

I'm not sure this site will be happy, nor upset for that matter with owner’s equipment-lists, but you sure beat me out and most others for sure. Other sites do this kind of thing and once I even mentioned a while back that ‘we-all’ here should maybe do such a thing, but then I thought why should I tell everyone how much money I have in my pocket, obviously they felt the same, cause I never saw a listing from anyone? You and I are some of the few who have done so.

Anywaz, I’m so glad for you that you do and because of your collection, I would like to be included in your ‘will’, as maybe just a friend, or even a pen-pal (who knows that term these days, that was what kids like me did after the ‘great-war’ in the fifties and early ‘60s), or a lost cousin from ‘way-back’ that no one in your family never knew of, I’ll rent a pick-up truck tomorrow if you submit to my craziness in turn.

Is that possible? That’s O.K. if you don’t, I’m happy enough for what I do have in my collection as I’m sure you do the same for yourself. Heck, it is a ‘free-country’, although maybe not for long if things are going the way they seem to be going, I hope I’m wrong about that.

I know, because of the things I am grateful about this site regarding the essence of technical-help and ‘know-how’ and ‘how-to’ stuff and so-forth, I have to admit as anyone here would, you’re more endowed than me or for that matter most here, I thank you for your efforts and appreciation of such things all AR.

On another note ‘Good-God’ what’s come over you? Hey, enjoy yourself, please don’t mind my opinion!

No need to explain ‘Lucy’, like I said I appreciate your collection, I too have fallen prey to such powers that old AR’s can produce in a man’s mind, especially if he’s older than 48 yrs. young and can appreciate such great things.

I also went crazy with my three 1973 Buick Riviera Boat-Tail’s in 1984, but everyone that knew felt that I had lost it, too bad for them, right, pity to those who don’t know history? However I was having the greatest ‘past-time’ any vintage Riviera/car owner could have. I have friends who do it with “Lionel” trains too.

My congratulations to you ‘Roundhome”, I feel you’re doing something good here and certainly for your own peace of mind as nothing else should matter, it’s not ‘a bad thing is it? Of course not!

The question that I always receive from the ‘non-believers’ is; what da hell are you gon’in do with so many things?

I’ll tell ya, Alice, I’am gonna enjoy myself, and quite rightly so!

Speaking for myself, because of family and other personal matters I hardly have a chance to do anything that really pleases me, my AR-LST’s have taken all precedence over my AR-3a’s, (obviously) and all speakers in my collection. How much music can one listen to? Well, I clean my vinyl LP’s on a VPI machine and then play them, when I get a chance at least.

FM, still lost in AR-dom!

P.S. 1, I’ll tell you ‘Roundhome’, that what I do; only enjoy myself on my clean vinyl LP’s much more now than mostly any CD I own. Why, you may ask? I’ll tell you ‘Norton’, because a ‘clean-LP’ is worth so much more than almost any CD, that’s why!

P.S. 2, On the platter right now is “Stevie Winwood’s”, “Arc of a Diver” and “Back In The High Life”, then “Blind-Faith”. I sometimes work backwards.

His music seems to have gone so overlooked, it’s almost painful to see such a great music writer almost ignored, almost like, no insult “Stevie” like old AR speakers. Let’s us not forget his first hit, “Give Me Some Loving” in 1965, heck he was just fifteen yrs. old as I was in the same year. By then and way before, NY airwaves had switched to ‘AM’ only and forgotten the clarity of ‘FM’. ‘FM’ became ‘big’ again in ’67 and ’68, (WNEW, 102.7, etc. then took over for us ‘long-hairs’).

P.S. 3 , I hope everyone enjoyed that link I posted regarding AR’s internet info.

P.S. 4, “Carl”, is correct to say, “It’s All About The MUSIC”, as I’ve always have felt! And old AR’s do music the best!

P.S. 6, Hey, “Roundhome’”, please don’t take any offense in any of my ramblings here, thanks. I’m simply a retired ‘rocker’ since the ‘good-old-days’, and although many 'rockers' were into J_L's and the foreign stuff, me, heck couldn't help myself from buying into the 'AR' -sound', after I heard AR's in my dentist's office in 1963,(AR-4ax's) and going to "EJ Korvettes" to hear the whole AR line, and also in playing in live bands before I even bought my first pair of AR's. The harsh and overly bright sound of Warf-ales and all of the others offered back then was somehow not accurate to my ears.

FM, still lost in vintage AR sound.

Archived